Read Student_Records.pdf text version

Student Records

January, 2010

This chapter discusses the many aspects of Student Educational Records. The main topics are: Definition of Education Records ­ page 1 Confidentiality of Student Records ­ page 1 Access to eSIS (Electronic Student Information System) ­ page 2 CUM Folder ­ page 4 Description of Documents ­ page 8 Record Retention Requirements ­ page 10 Record Retention Grid ­ page 11 Directory Information ­ page 13 Release of Information ­ page 13 Requests for Student Records ­ page 15 Requests for Student Information ­ page 18 School Directories ­ page 20 * * * * * * For complete state and federal government information regarding student education records, refer to Oregon Administrative Rules (OARs), sections 581-021-0220 through 581-021-0440, and the Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (34 CFR 99). School Board Policies JO/IGBAB, JOA, JOB also provide extensive information. DEFINITION OF EDUCATION RECORDS OAR 166-400-060.32, OAR 581-021-0220, Board Policy JO/IGBAB "Education Records" is defined as all paper and electronic records, files, documents and other materials containing information directly related to a student. This includes the students full legal name, address, birth date, place of birth, parent/guardian names, admission date to school, name of previous school attended, courses of study and marks received, data documenting progress towards the CIM and CAM, achievement dates of CIM and CAM, credits earned, attendance and date of withdrawal from school. Records pertaining to services received under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and health records are also included. Note: The student must be enrolled using the full legal name even if the parent requests a different name be used. See detailed information in the Enrollment Procedure chapter, Full Legal Name section. All student data entered in eSIS is considered a part of the students education record, and is subject to state and federal laws and School Board Policy governing student records. CONFIDENTIALITY OF STUDENT RECORDS OAR 581-021-0265 All educational records are confidential. The federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy interests of students. Access to student

1/2010 CIS:dlp


records is subject to the FERPA and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) acts as well as Oregon health information law. These laws state that employees should only have access to the specific information required in the performance of their job function. You are legally and ethically obligated to safeguard the confidentiality of any information in these records. Security and confidentiality of student records are critical. Official documents such as eSIS records, student cumulative (CUM) folders and transcripts are only to be accessed as required in the performance of job duties. Unauthorized use, benefiting by knowledge of confidential information, divulging records information outside of the job assignment, knowingly entering false data or removing records, may result in dismissal and potential action under State of Oregon Statutes and School Board Policy. Remember, just because you may have the ability to view student information does not necessarily mean you are justified or authorized to do so. Important: Keep in mind that any office staff member, student worker or parent volunteer with eSIS access to the Parent and Emergency Contact screen will be able to view the information entered for "Family Alerts" and "Notes". Suggested Practices Guard all student data and keep it secure. Documents, or printed pages that contain personally identifiable information such as eSIS student ID#, name, address and phone should be shredded rather than thrown in the trash. Remember to "lock" your eSIS computer screen when leaving your immediate work area.

ACCESS TO eSIS (Electronic Student Information System) Anyone requesting an eSIS user account must complete the "eSIS Access Application" form. This includes staff (both classified and certified), students, parents, and volunteers. Students and volunteers must also complete a "Student Records Security and Confidentiality Agreement". Send the completed form(s) with required signatures to Computing and Information Services for an account to be created. Anyone receiving a new eSIS account must attend an eSIS training held by the CIS department before receiving his/her eSIS username and password. The confidentiality statement signed by the student or volunteer will not protect you or the school from liability if information is accessed by the individual when not in the course of official school business.

Staff Staff members shall never allow anyone else to log in to eSIS with their account. The password should be guarded and be changed frequently.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


Parents, volunteers, student workers, employed student workers All student records data is strictly confidential, and schools should carefully consider whether or not to request eSIS access for students, parents and volunteers. (continued) Students, parents and volunteers are not to log in using a staff members eSIS account. They are required have their own eSIS account but are never to be given the eSIS password, no matter how dependable or honest you believe the individual to be. Instead a staff member must enter the password discretely for the persons account only when access is necessary. This prevents an unsupervised individual from having the ability to access eSIS student records from any computer anywhere there is internet access, such as their home or business. At the end of the school year, immediately contact CIS to disable the accounts for students, parents and volunteers. If they are to have access again in the fall the account can be re-established.

Student Workers The Computing and Information Services department strongly recommends that students (office helpers and paid student workers) do not have access to eSIS student records due to confidentiality issues. If your school decides to allow students to have access, they should never be allowed unsupervised access to eSIS and should never be given passwords to log in. Students who have access to eSIS should not work in the same school that they attend or have previously attended, nor in a school that feeds to the students school. For example, a Sheldon High School student should not work at Cal Young or Monroe Middle Schools. Students with a previous connection to your school are likely to know students and families of that school and may encounter privileged, sensitive information that is recorded in eSIS.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


CUMULATIVE (CUM) FOLDER A CUM folder is to be created for each student entering District 4J for the first time which contains educational records pertaining to the students enrollment. CUM folders are to be kept at the school in a locked, minimum one hour fire safe place. (OAR 581-0210250, School Board Policy JO - page 10) A list of contents for the CUM folder must be pre-printed on the outside of the folder or a separate sheet listing contents may be attached to the inside cover of the folder. Optionally a sheet could be posted on the file cabinet listing the contents to be included in every folder. A white envelope for confidential documents is placed inside CUM folders as needed. Only authorized persons should view the contents of the confidential envelope. This envelope must be purchased through the districts printing company. It has a list of contents printed on the front of the envelope. Create file folder labels listing the students legal last name, legal first name on the first line, and the eSIS Pupil number on the second line. Affix the labels to the CUM folder and the white confidential envelope. Contents in the CUM folder and white confidential envelope should be filed with the most recent document to the front of the file, and older documents at the back. CUM files are purged when the student moves from elementary to middle school and from middle to high school. Non-essential or duplicate items should be shredded or returned to parents when appropriate. Please refer to the list of CUM folder contents below. If a school staff member removes a CUM folder from the locked file cabinet, a Checkout Placeholder card should be inserted. The person removing the file should list the students name, date the folder was checked out, staff persons name and purpose for removing the file. When the file is returned, the date should be indicated on the Checkout card. Likewise, if a staff member removes a document from a CUM folder but leaves the folder in the file cabinet, a checkout sheet should be completed and inserted into the CUM folder. When the document is returned, the staff member lists the return date on the sheet. CUM folders, white confidential envelopes, checkout placeholder cards and individual document sheets can be ordered in large quantities from the school districts printing contractor.

Note: For information on requesting student records from a previous school, district or educational agency, please refer to the section "Request for Student Records and Information". This section also discusses receiving records requests from other schools, districts and educational agencies.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


Below are lists of documents that are to be kept in the CUM folder and the white confidential envelope: CUM Folder Contents: Copy of Birth Certificate or other legal document proving birth date Confidential Record Card (High Schools only) Alternatively, store with the transcript in a separate location. (See detailed information in the Description of Documents section.) ELL summary of test scores Enrollment form Keep all forms that have been completed for the student. Staple them together with the most recent on top. Attach a copy of the proof of residency Home Language Survey IEP / TAG / 504 Plan Notification Sheet This green sheet identifies the student who is receiving special services through an IEP, 504 Plan or Talented and Gifted (TAG) program. Place this sheet in the front of the file folder. As updated green sheets are received, destroy the old sheet and replace it with the new sheet. The green sheet is to remain in the CUM folder when it is sent to another 4J school or outside the district. Oregon Statewide Assessment Profile (OSAT) sheet (See detailed information in the Description of Documents section.) Permanent Record Card Keep Permanent Record Cards from previous schools or districts. Staple them together with the most recent on top. (See detailed information in the Description of Documents section.) Report Cards for all elementary grades Elementary report cards are to remain in the folder when the student moves to middle school. Student Annual Picture Card (grades KG ­ 8) (See detailed information in the Description of Documents section.) Student Residency Questionnaire (students who are not homeless) Green or Orange TAG folder Talented and Gifted (TAG) Plan Sheet goes inside the folder Transcripts ­ middle school and high school (High schools may store these in a separate binder)

1/2010 CIS:dlp


White Confidential Envelope Contents: IEP documents Most current IEP cover sheet Special Educational Placement form Current Eligibility Statement Statement/form if IEP Eligibility is concluded Other documents go to the students case manager. The students case manager is responsible to ensure these documents are in the confidential envelope. If the student had previously been on an IEP but is no longer eligible for an IEP, the Eligibility Statement indicating the student is no longer eligible for SPED services should be filed in the main CUM folder. Legal documents File the most recent documents to the front. Schools may wish to keep a copy of documents in a separate binder. Court Documents Restraining Orders Custody Papers o All documents such as restraining orders (even outdated) should be kept until the student reaches age 21. These records provide important history for the child and should remain in the confidential envelope. All documents must be clearly dated and highlighted, and filed with the most recent document on top. o Anecdotal notes should not be kept in the CUM folder. 506 Indian Heritage Forms Oregon Title 1 Migrant Ed Program Eligibility Survey Student Residency Questionnaire (homeless students only) Suspension/Expulsion These forms are kept in the confidential envelope until the student reaches age 21: Suspension ­ a copy of the Notice of Suspension form Final Letter of Expulsion Other documents that identify a student for suspension or expulsion such as Risk Assessments, Psychological evaluations, and physicians statements. Minor behavior records such as in-school suspensions and referrals are to be kept in a separate folder. Truancy documents ESD documents ­ keep permanently Parent correspondence ­ keep while the student is at that school level. Letters may be purged at the end of the 5th and 8th grades. If the student moves to another school district, ESD documents remain in the white confidential envelope. Other documents should be purged. 504 Plans

1/2010 CIS:dlp


The following items are NOT filed in the CUM folder: Athletic Participation Permit (file with health records) Benchmark work samples Classroom writing samples and drawings Dibbles reading test scores (elementary) Documentation and notes pertaining to child abuse situation Typically this confidential information is kept with the building principal and doesnt go in the CUM folder. If the student transfers to another school, the principal of the current school should be informed and send appropriate records to the next school. eSIS incident reports ­ (file with incident documentation) Health and Immunization records Incident documentation Includes supporting documents for harassment, discrimination, and minor behavior records. In school suspensions and referrals should be kept in a separate folder or binder. At the principals discretion, documents pertaining to certain specific incidents may be designated to remain in the white confidential envelope in the CUM folder. Placement tests Sports Pre-Participation Examination (file with health records) Suspensions/Expulsions supporting documentation (file with incident documentation) Work samples ­ return to parents Out-of-state work samples - the parent should save these in case the student returns to the out of state school. Yellow "Student Progress Information" Card (old elementary form) These cards are no longer needed and may be discarded, unless OSAT test scores have been affixed.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


DESCRIPTION of DOCUMENTS Permanent Record Card Elementary schools are required to print a Permanent Record Card for each student entering District 4J for the first time. The Permanent Record Card is to be printed on tag paper or heavy card stock. (In eSIS, once students are registered, go to folder 27 Custom Reports > Applications and Reports Portal > select Permanent Record Card.) Required elements of the elementary permanent record are: Full legal name of student (first, middle and last) (OAR 581-021-0220-11) Place of birth (city and state) Date of birth Admission date Withdraw date Name and location of previous school attended Annual attendance totals OSAT test scores Report card grades (to be recorded by the beginning of the next year.) The original permanent record card must be stored at the 4J elementary school that the student attended. When an elementary student transfers to another school, always keep the original Permanent Record Card and send a copy printed on heavy card stock to the next school. This is the correct procedure for students moving to another 4J elementary school, moving to another district or moving to a middle school. For students moving to another district, print the eSIS Admissions/Withdrawal screen to indicate the students enrollment history and send it with the other documents. 4J elementary schools will continue to record new data on the copy of the Permanent Record Card that was received from the previous 4J school. Permanent Record Cards received from other districts may be stapled to the back of the 4J Permanent Record Card. At the middle and high school level, the academic transcript is used as the Permanent Record Card. Permanent records and transcripts must be kept in a minimum one-hour fire-safe file or a duplicate stored in a safe depository outside the building. Permanent Record Cards and transcripts for every student must be stored for 75 years at the last school the student attended. (OAR 581-021-0250, OAR 166-400-0060 (32), School Board Policy JO ­ pg. 10) Confidential Record Card High Schools print a Confidential Record Card for each newly admitted student. Various test scores such as PSAT, PLAN, SAT, ACT, AP tests are recorded on this record. You may also record applications to colleges and scholarships awarded to the student. A copy of the Confidential Record Card accompanies the transcript if a student transfers to another school or district. The original remains at the school.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


Student Annual Pictures Annual student pictures for grades KG to 8 are to be attached to the Student Picture Card and placed in the CUM folder. Cards from other schools may be stapled together, or you may continue using the previous schools card. The Student Picture Card form can be printed from the eSIS website. High School student pictures are attached to the Confidential Record Card.

Test Scores The printed OSAT test score sheets are cumulative, listing scores for every grade. File the most recent score sheet in the students CUM folder and shred sheets for previous years. If a student transfers to another school, OSAT test scores are to be attached to the Permanent Record Card or the transcript. You do not need to keep a copy of the OSAT test scores for your records.

1/2010 CIS:dlp



OAR 166-400-0060, School Board Policy JO, page 10

For specific, detailed record retention requirements, please see the Student Record Retention grid on the following pages. Some general guidelines are listed below: Permanent Record Cards for elementary students are to be stored 75 years. Transcripts for middle and high schools are to be stored 75 years. A paper copy of the final transcript must be filed at the school, unless permanent copies are stored at the Education Center. Cumulative Folders For a list of required contents, please see the previous CUM Folder section. When a student withdraws from your school to attend another school in 4J or other district, send the entire CUM Folder to the next school. Keep the original Permanent Record Card or Transcript and send a copy. If a student withdraws from school but no request for records is received, the CUM folder must remain at the last school attended and records archived according to the Student Record Retention document. The school must keep the entire CUM Folder for at least 3 years, the CIS form (Certificate of Immunization Status) until the student reaches age 21, and the Permanent Record Card or transcript for 75 years. (Please refer to the Student Record Retention grid for complete information.) 5th or 8th grade students At the end of the school year, keep the original permanent record card for 5th grade students and make a copy to be sent to the next school. For 8th grade students, make a copy of the transcript to be sent to the next school. The CUM folders for all students moving to a 4J middle or high school are to be sent to the next feeder school. Please see the "End of Year Process" chapter for further information. High School Seniors CUM Folders are to be kept five years following graduation. The transcript is kept for 75 years. You may purge the copy of the elementary Permanent Record Card and middle school transcripts since the original documents are to be held at the previous schools. Records showing compliance with federal program requirements (e.g. Title 1 and Special Education records) must be kept for five years following the school year in which the records were created. Records documenting speech pathology and physical therapy services, must be kept until the student reaches age 21 or five years after last seen, whichever is longer.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


Record Retention Grid

OAR 166-400-0060, School Board Policy JO, page 18

Record Elementary Permanent Record

Retention Period 75 years

Where Stored at the elementary school in a 1-hour fire proof file cabinet Stored at the Middle School in a 1 hour fireproof file cabinet.

Middle School and High School Permanent Record (transcript) Attendance Records

75 years

Notes Always keep the original. For transferring students, make a copy on heavy card stock and send to the next 4J school or out of district school. Always keep a transcript for all students. Send an original or copy for students who transfer out of the district or move up to high school. Records may include written excuse notes, end-of-year attendance registers and detailed attendance reports. Includes records that document student behavior that results in suspension or expulsion such as psychological and personality tests, dr. statements, correspondence. These records are considered to be part of the educational record if the student transfers. Includes records that document student behavior that does not result in suspension or expulsion, such as minor referrals, correspondence, detention records. This information is not to be included in the records if the student transfers. Free and reduced lunch applications are sent to the Nutrition Services Office.

Behavior Records, Major

3 years after school year in which records were created At a minimum, keep until the student reaches age 21.

Stored at each school

Stored at each school as part of the educational record

Behavior Records, Minor

At a minimum, until end of school year.

Stored at each school as part of the educational record

Educational Programs

Records that show compliance with federal program requirements: 5 years after school year in which records were created; all other records: 3 years after school year in which records were created

Special Ed records are stored in ESS. All others are stored at each school.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


Grade Records

If grades are recorded on the Permanent Record ­ keep 6 years after school year in which records were created. If grades are not recorded on the Permanent Record, keep permanently. Health Until the student Screening reaches age 21 or Records graduates, and Immuni- whichever is zation longer. Records (CIS)

Stored at each school as part of the educational record

Records may include teacher grade books, grade change records, report cards and related documentation.

Stored at each school as part of the educational record

As student moves from elementary to middle to high school, these records remain in the CUM folder. If a student transfers out of district, these records must be sent as part of the educational record.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


DIRECTORY INFORMATION OAR 581-021-0220, OAR 581-021-0390, School Board Policy JO ­ pg. 11 Directory Information is defined as information that if disclosed, would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy. Directory information may include, but is not limited to, student and parent or guardian names, address and telephone numbers, the students photograph, date and place of birth, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height if the student is a member of an athletic team, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and dates of attendance. District policy and federal (FERPA) and state laws allow directory information to be released only in conjunction with school or school district related activities without parent consent if notice is given to parents and they are given a reasonable amount of time to object. This general notice is given to parents in the District 4J School Calendar.

RELEASE OF INFORMATION: OAR 581-021-0340 Generally, parents must consent to the release of all education records. The school district, however, may release education records without consent to the following: Another school or district in which the student intends to enroll o School board members in matters of expulsion o State and Federal government agencies o Judicial orders or subpoenas Or in the following situations: o Emergency situations involving the health or safety of the student or other people. (See detailed information in the Government Agencies topic.) o Information relating to students no longer in attendance

(OAR 581-021-0390, School Board Policy JO - pg 8)

For a complete list, refer to School Board Policy, section JO NEVER release directory information to a stranger (including people such as attorneys or private detectives); do not even confirm that the student attends your school unless you know that person is authorized to have the information.

Restriction of Release of Information Parent(s) who do not wish directory information to be released, must fill out the "Form to Limit Release of Student Directory Information" which is included in the District 4J School Calendar. Parents need to complete a new form each year if the restriction is to remain in place for the following school year. This form is placed in the students CUM folder and the restriction entered in eSIS. Parents are notified annually of this right in the information contained in the District 4J School Calendar. Parents enrolling new students have the opportunity to list restrictions on the 4J enrollment form. Even though we do not make a practice of giving out directory information, it is important that you take special precautions with the information given to you by parents who have signed and returned the "Form to Limit Release of Student Directory Information".

1/2010 CIS:dlp


eSIS Data Entry The restriction to release student directory information is entered on the Student Miscellaneous Information screen, Permissions tab, by placing a checkmark (or not) in the box "Should Information be released?" If the parent wishes to restrict all directory information from being released in any situation, remove the check mark from the box "Should Information be released?" When you ,,save the changes and re-query for this student, an alert will be placed in the yellow Alert Box, which says "Release of Student Information Prohibited at Family's Request." (Note, you will not be able to enter any specific restrictions for this student.) If a checkmark is placed in the box "Should Information be released?" this indicates directory information may be released about the student as appropriate. When a checkmark is entered, the "Restrictions Type" drop down list will be active allowing specific restrictions to be entered if necessary. If the parent has indicated more than one restriction, click on the "Additional Restrictions" box and select all that apply. After the data has been saved, this box will change to read "Multiple Restrictions!!" Notice that even though restrictions are entered, there is no alert message in the yellow Alert Box indicating a restriction on releasing information. Note ­ some restrictions types pertain to specific forms of directory information, such as "Not school directory" or "Not photo." Other restrictions, however, pertain to permissions such as "Not PG-13 movies". At the time you admit a student in eSIS you will be asked, "Does the student allow the release of his/her information?" If you answer "Yes", a checkmark will be placed in the Student Miscellaneous Information screen, Permissions tab. Answering "No" will not place a checkmark in this area.

1/2010 CIS:dlp



OAR 581-021-0255, ORS 339.260, School Board Policy JO ­ pgs 6,7

4J Schools, other school districts, and educational agencies may request and receive student records information for the purpose of enrolling a student. Student records shall be released only upon the condition that the requesting party will not permit any other party to have access to the information without the written consent of the parent or eligible student. Student records must be sent within 10 days of receiving a request from another school, school district, or educational agency. If a student is in custody of the state, schools shall provide records to the receiving school within 5 days of the request. Please refer to the "Withdrawal Procedures" chapter for details on specific records that are to be sent to the requesting school. For out of district requests, if there is a green card in the Cumulative folder identifying the student as being on an IEP, or if you know the student is receiving Special Education services, forward the request for records to the Education Support Services Records Center either by sending a copy through inter-district mail or by fax. The ESS Records Center will forward the SPED documents directly to the requesting school. If the student is moving to another 4J school and is receiving Special Education services, inform the Special Education provider (Special Education teacher, school psychologist or consultant) of the students move. Ask the provider to ensure the working file is in order, and then place the SPED file in the students CUM folder. Forward the complete CUM folder on to the next 4J school. You may want to FAX the IEP cover sheet and eligibility report (filed in the white confidential envelope in the CUM folder) to the next school. If the receiving school requires additional Special Education records, the Special Education provider at the new school will go to the ESS Records Center and make the appropriate copies of the students records. You do not need a parent signature before releasing records to an educational agency for enrollment purposes. You are required to obtain a parent signature for records requests that are not from an educational institution, such as from the State of Oregon, Services to Children and Families, Oregon Research Institute and physicians. Keep a written record of all records requests received except directory information requests. The log shall include the date the files were sent and the institution. You might also attach a copy of the records request form to the permanent record card that is kept in your school. The transfer of records, except for directory information, to a third party shall include the following statement: "These records are confidential and may not be released to any other person or agency without the written consent of the students parent or the student if the student is 18 or attending an institution of post-secondary education."

(School Board Policy JO ­ pg. 6)

Please refer to the "Enrollment Procedures" or "Withdraw Procedures" chapters for information about using the Student Miscellaneous Information screen to indicate records have been sent or received, and the specific student records that are to be sent to the next school.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


Note: Some states and private schools, do not want the contents of the CUM folder and will send it all back to you. You may wish to include a note with all CUM folders you send, such as "Please keep the records you require and shred the rest. Do not return to District 4J." Any CUM folders that are returned to you may be destroyed, as long as you have retained the required Permanent Record card and/or transcript. Sending Student Records To 4J schools Records may be sent through the inter-district mail, which uses the Lane ESD Courier system. Records to Network Charter School however, need to be sent by US mail. Other districts in Lane County The Lane ESD Courier mail system delivers student records (and other mail) to any public school in Lane County, excluding charter schools. Out of State Use the US mail service when sending student records out of state. You may want to send records as Certified mail with a return receipt requested. Suggestion ­ When a student is moving out of state, most schools as a courtesy give copies of records to the parent, or student at the high school level. These copies can be used by the next school to expedite enrollment until you send the official 4J documents. You could send copies of the report card, school withdraw form, CIS form (immunizations), and the iep cover sheet. Secondary schools also include a copy of the transcript and current student schedule. Out of Country Place copies of the records in a sealed envelope to give to the parent. (See the suggested list of records in the "Out of State" section above.) Do not give the parent the originals or the CUM folder. In the event the student returns to your school, you may not be able to get the documents back from the foreign country. Put a note in CUM folder that you gave copies of the records to the parent.

1/2010 CIS:dlp



OAR 581-021-0255, ORS 0339.260, School Board Policy JO ­ pgs 6,7

When you request records from another 4J school, other district or educational agency for a student who intends to enroll, please use the districts "Request for Records" form. Records must be requested within 10 days of the student enrollment. When completing the form, it is important to indicate the expected date of enrollment to your school. This will enable the previous school to record an accurate withdraw date for state reporting purposes. Be sure to request any Special Education records even if the parent does not indicate the student is receiving services. Request IEP records, eligibility statements, assessment reports and consent for initial placement in special education. You do not need to obtain a parent signature if the student is transferring from another 4J school or other school district. If you have difficulty receiving student records from a 4J school within the 10 day requirement and have reminded the school of your request, you could ask your school administrator to help obtain the records. For assistance in obtaining student records from out of district or out of state, the Instruction Department may be able to contact the school on your behalf. Also, you may contact the School Improvement and Accountability department at ODE for assistance. If you receive Special Education records (such as an IEP, eligibility, assessment report), or documents pertaining to behavior problems, court orders or any other special needs, the CUM folder should be passed to the building administrator or his/her designee. This review of the CUM folder should be completed within 48 hours after receiving the file. Appropriate staff must be notified of special situations, such as behavior plans or court orders. After the CUM folder has been reviewed, any Special Education records should be given to the designated Special Education staff member in your building, such as the SPED teacher, school psychologist or consultant for review. Please refer to information from Education Support Services (ESS) for details on filing and maintaining Special Education records. Suggested Practice: Keep a log of all records requests you make to other schools, including the date requested, name of student and school. You may wish to combine this log with the log of records requests you have received from other schools. Note for Middle and High Schools: If you receive records from a non-4J school but the student does not arrive to attend class, the student is considered to belong to your school. Because you have received records the student must be reported to the state as an Early Leaver. If you feel theres a chance the student may not actually arrive at your school, you may want to request records after the student arrives.

1/2010 CIS:dlp


TRANSCRIPT REQUESTS Middle school and high school students and parent/guardians may request an unofficial or official copy of the students transcript for their records. A small fee may be charged for any type of transcript that you issue. (School Board Policy JO, pg. 11) If a parent/guardian requests a transcript and you do not know the individual, you should request identification from the parent and confirm that his/her names are listed in eSIS as a parent with custody, prior to issuing the transcript. Official Transcript Foreign students at middle and high schools, who are returning to their home country, may need an official transcript as well as a letter stating the students dates of enrollment and grade levels completed. High school students or a parent/guardian may request an official transcript to be sent to a prospective college or with a scholarship application. An official transcript is stamped with the school seal and signed by the registrar, counselor or other designee, then is placed in a sealed envelope with a stamp on the back such as "Official Transcript Enclosed". The school may decide whether to mail the transcript directly to the school, college or organization or give the sealed envelope to the student. Official transcripts for Oregon state colleges are sent electronically. The student or parent/guardian will fill out a request form, indicating whether test scores are to be included with the transcript. If the student is under the age of 18, some schools require a parent/guardian to sign the form granting permission to send the transcript. When official transcripts are issued, make an entry on the students Confidential Record indicating the date and location the transcript was sent. Unofficial Transcript Unofficial transcripts do not bear a school seal or signature and are not usually placed in a sealed envelope. Some schools choose to limit the number of unofficial transcripts a student can receive and may or may not charge a fee.

GENERAL RECORDS / INFORMATION REQUESTS Please follow these guidelines when you receive student records requests from various sources: Suggested Practices: When you receive a phone call requesting information, rather than giving an immediate response, take the name and phone number of the person calling. By returning the call, you are able to verify the person indeed works for the agency identified. At that point you may release information as appropriate. College Recruitment Schools and the district are not required by the state or federal government to release directory information to college recruiters, however parents or students may request the information not be released. In eSIS, this restriction is recorded on the Student

1/2010 CIS:dlp


Miscellaneous Information screen, Permissions tab. Select the box "No college recruitment". Courts Schools must release information requested by judicial order or legal subpoena. The school must make a reasonable effort to notify the parent(s) of the request, unless the court has ordered the contents of the subpoena not be disclosed. All student data entered in eSIS is subpoena able by the courts, including any notes, memos or alerts entered. Please use caution and good judgment when entering various information. Do not enter anything that you would not want the parent, student, school staff or courts to read. Department of Motor Vehicles ORS 339.257 High Schools and occasionally Middle Schools need to provide verification of attendance for students needing DMV records. Forms are available from DMV. Government Agencies State agencies such as Office of Services to Children and Families (SCF) and Law Enforcement Agencies: You may release directory information and other personally identifiable information to law enforcement agencies, child protective services, health care professionals and other appropriate parties if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health and safety of the student or other individuals. Do not give information to anyone over the phone or in person until you have confirmed that the person is actually an employee of the agency contacting you. Military Recruitment The "No Child Left Behind Act of 2001" (NCLB) requires the school district to release the name, address and phone numbers of all 11th and 12th grade students. This information is provided to the military at the end of October by the CIS department. The parent(s) or student may request that the information not be released by completing the Military Recruitment Information Denial Form. Likewise if the parent has requested no directory information be released, the students information will be excluded from the information provided to the military. Note: The military gets student names and addresses from sources other than CIS. If a parent complains the information was released but the "no military recruitment" box is checked, its most likely the information did not come from CIS or District 4J. Occasionally schools may receive requests for student lists for their military surveys or for other reasons such as career day, and military testing dates. We do not believe NCLB requires schools/4J to provide this data. In eSIS, the request to not release information to the military is recorded in the Student Miscellaneous Information screen, Permissions tab by selecting the box "No Military recruitment".

1/2010 CIS:dlp


Non-custodial Parent If the custody of the student has been granted to only one parent, it is important for him/her to know that the non-custodial parent has access to all education records unless there is a court order to the contrary. For further information pertaining to parental custodial rights, please see the Enrollment Procedures chapter, custody section. (OAR 581-021-0230 and District 4J School Calendar) Parents

OAR 581-021-0220, OAR 581-021-0230, OAR 581-021-0270, OAR 581-021-0280, ORS 192.440, ORS 192.501(4), Administrative Rules J3820, School Board Policy JO/IGBAB

Legal parents have full rights to inspect and review their students educational records unless the school has been provided with a court order or legally binding document relating to such matters such as divorce, separation, or custody that specifically revokes these rights. If requested, the school is to provide copies of the students education records without unnecessary delay within 45 days of the request, unless fees are owed. Schools may charge a fee for the copies of records. For further information pertaining to rights of non-custodial parents, please see the Enrollment Procedures chapter. If the parent believes the education records relating to the student contain information that is inaccurate, misleading or in violation of the students rights of privacy or other rights, he or she may ask the school to amend the record. The school shall decide whether to amend the record as requested. Refer to OAR 581-021-0300, 581-021-0310 for detailed information. Step Parents Step parents do not automatically have rights to student information unless they have legal custody or the birth parent gives the step parent access to the information, such as by listing him/her as an emergency contact. For further information, please see the Enrollment Procedures chapter, custody section. Students OAR 581-021-0240, Board Policy JO/IGBAB When a student becomes an eligible student (18 years old or is attending a postsecondary school), the rights accorded to the parents transfer from the parents to the student alone.

SCHOOL DIRECTORIES: Many schools choose to distribute a student directory for use by students and parents. It is important that you give parents the opportunity to have their students names omitted from the directory. The directory should also include the following statement: "This directory is for the use of students, parents, and staff for school and school related business. It is not to be used by them for business, commercial or fund raising activities not sponsored by the school. It is not to be released to other organizations, businesses, or persons." Schools are not allowed to provide lists of student/parent names, addresses or phone numbers to private businesses or non-profit organizations.

1/2010 CIS:dlp



20 pages

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate


You might also be interested in

Microsoft Word - Syllabus 2008 2009.doc
Microsoft Word - ElemRptCrdTchrGuidelinesRev10-13-06.doc
Microsoft Word - Ch 7-Printed Final DOM.doc
Menehune High School Junior ROTC