Read CECD.pdf text version

EBB4010 COMPARATIVE EDUCATION COURSE INFORMATION

PERIOD OF THE COURSE: The course "Comparative Education" covers only spring term. Class will meet 2 class hours per week as shown in the weekly schedules of the groups. INSTRUCTOR: Abdullah CAN Office: Block B / Room 115 Tel: 0 224 2942233 E-mail : [email protected] Web page : http://www.abdullahcan.com RATIONALE FOR THE COURSE: As the result of speedy developments in information and communication technology, cultures and territories came closer and both physical and socio-cultural borders have vanished. As seen in most fields, in the field of education as well, a global understanding seems to be a necessity. Moreover, the role of education and literacy in economic growth, political development, modernization, and social change can only be observed and assessed by means of close examination of the dynamic relationships between the education and the other institutions of community in different cultures and communities. Teachers can improve their practice by adopting and adapting educational systems and practices that were developed elsewhere. Comparisons of educational systems also provide a basis for assessing the suitability of current practices. In the same line, it is not a weak possibility for English teachers to work in global contexts with an international group of colleagues and students. For future teachers, this course is expected to function as the gateway for gaining professional interest and responsibility for the above issues. This course focuses on training students to compare and contrast educational systems and exposes students to the comparative approaches in education. OBJECTIVES OF THE COURSE At the end of the course, the teacher candidates will be able to 1-Widen their understanding of international, regional and local education systems so that they are able to identify similarities and differences between educational systems as well as strengths and weaknesses within each system. 2-Identify and analyze circumstances and environmental factors that have lead to education being used as an instrument of social, political and cultural change in selected societies. 3-Enhance their capacity to teach by comparing and contrasting different regulations and applications and schoolings in various educational systems 4-To draw some lessons from various systems of education for their own use PREREQUISITE KNOWLEDGE Teacher candidates should refer to the outcomes of two courses in the National Teacher Training Program. These courses are 1-Introduction to Educational Sciences (Units relevant to "Structure of Turkish Education System", "Historical, Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education") 2-Turkish Education System and School Management COURSE REQUIREMENTS Each student is expected to have access to Internet to make use of the various sources on the Moodle Platform and the other relevant sites. Moodle can be accessed via http://www.abdullahcan.com (Sanal Derslik)

Comparative Education Course Description Spring 2011

©Abdullah Can

1

REALIZATION OF THE COURSE Students will form presentations groups and each group will present the education system of the selected country considering the Presentation Guidelines that can be accessed on the Moodle Platform. WEEKLY PROGRAM Week 01 Week 02 Week 03 Week 04 Week 05 Week 06 Week 07 Week 08 Week 09 Week 10 Week 11 Week 12 Week 13 Week 14 14th ­ 18th Feb 21st ­ 25th Feb th 28 Feb ­ 4th Mar 7th ­ 11th Mar 14th ­ 18th Mar 21st ­ 25th Mar 28th Mar- 1st Apr 4th -8th Apr 11th -15th Apr 18th ­ 22nd Apr 25th ­ 29th Apr 2nd ­ 6th May 9th ­ 13th May 16th -20 May Introduction to the Course and Expectations Education System in TURKEY Education System in AUSTRIA Education System in HUNGARY Education System in BULGARIA Education System in FINLAND Education System in GERMANY (Possible) Mid Term Exam Week Education System in NORWAY Education System in DENMARK Education System in SWEDEN Education System in GREECE Education System in ITALY General Review and Overall Evaluation

EVALUATION AND ASSESSMENT POLICY There will be no pen-paper midterm exam. 60% of the Midterm grades will be based on the presentation and the rest 40% will be based on the personal reports. (Details about the personal reports are included in the presentation guidelines.) Final exam will be in the form of pen paper test as usual.

Comparative Education Course Description

Spring 2011

©Abdullah Can

2

Information

2 pages

Find more like this

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate

595678


You might also be interested in

BETA
PSYCHOSIS IN CHILDREN
Effective Communication Strategies 4 PDF