Read 20-21 Holy Family RCC.indd text version

West Roosevelt Road and South May Street, Chicago, Illinois

Jesuit priest, Father Arnold Damen. Additions in 1862 and 1866 enlarged it to its present form. By 1890, Holy Family was the largest English-speaking Catholic parish in the United States. Today, it is the second-oldest church building in Chicago, having survived the Great Fire of 1871. The church building closed in the 1980's and was threatened with demolition. However, through appeals catalyzed by the Reverend George Lane and the Holy Family Preservation Society, the church was saved and painstakingly restored, a process which continues today. t is possible that Holy Family Church owned an organ as early as 1858. Around 1865, the church appears to have acquired a one-manual, nine-rank instrument built by the Pilcher Bros. of Chicago. In 1870, Louis Mitchell & Son of Montreal, Canada, installed a large, three-manual instrument in the upper of two rear galleries, the largest church organ in the United States at that time. Much pipework was imported from Paris, France, particularly the reeds. The organ required six to eight persons to pump the wind. For decades, the instrument was a benchmark against which new installations in Chicago were compared. The exquisite Gothic case of solid black walnut, lavishly decorated with a choir of angels playing instruments, remains today, having housed four organs within it in the past 130 years. In 1891, the Frank Roosevelt firm of New York City rebuilt the Mitchell organ as their opus 498. Three hydraulic pumps were installed, retiring human power. The key and stop action was pneumatic. In 1905, Coburn & Taylor of Chicago installed a two-manual organ of mechanical key and stop action in the lower gallery. The Tellers-Kent Company of Erie, Pennsylvania, was commissioned to rebuild the upper gallery organ again in 1923, electrifying the action and reconfiguring the organ to comprise four manuals. This instrument was

HOLY FAMILY CATHOLIC CHURCH

This church was constructed between 1857 and 1860 under the direction of the

I

PIPE ORGANS OF CHICAGO

1

HOLY FAMILY CATHOLIC CHURCH

Chicago, Illinois

again rebuilt in 1950 by Austin Organs, Incorporated, of Hartford, Connecticut, as a three-manual instrument, opus 2159. At this time, Austin took the pipework from the Coburn & Taylor organ and built the organ located behind the altar of the sanctuary, a two-manual instrument, opus 2168. This instrument was playable from its own console on the transept floor or from the console in the upper gallery. In 1971, the gallery organ, without its spectacular case, was sold to Saint Peter United Church of Christ, Lake Zurich, Illinois, for whom it was again rebuilt by the Temple Organ Company of Burlington, Iowa. The smaller Austin organ has been refurbished recently by the Berghaus Organ Company of Bellwood, Illinois. In 1995, a one-manual organ built in 1879 by G. F. Steinmeyer of Öttingen, Germany, was placed near the west transept by the Mühleisen firm of Stuttgart. Manual compass is 54 notes; pedal compass is 27 notes.

Specification of 1870 Louis Mitchell & Son organ: GREAT ORGAN 16 Double Open Diapason 16 Bourdon 8 Open Diapason 8 Second Open Diapason 8 Gamba 8 Flute Traversière 8 Stopped Diapason 8 Gemshorn 4 Principal 4 Harmonic Flute 4 Stopped Flute 2 2/3 Twelfth 2 Fifteenth V Furniture [sic] V Cymbale 16 Double Trumpet 8 Trumpet 8 Posaune 4 Clarion SWELL ORGAN 16 Bourdon 8 Open Diapason 8 Harmonic Flute 8 Stopped Diapason 8 Keraulophon 4 Principal 4 Salicional 4 Hohlflöte 4 Stopped Flute 2 Octavin Harmonique V Mixture 8 Trumpet (Horn) 8 Cornopean 8 Clarionet 8 Oboe and Bassoon 8 Vox Humana 4 Clarion CHOIR ORGAN 16 Double Stop'd Diapason 8 Open Diapason 8 Gamba 8 Clariana 8 Clarabella 8 Harmonic Flute 8 Dulciana 8 Voix Célestes 4 Principal 4 Gemshorn 2 Piccolo 16 Euphone (free reed) 8 Trumpet 8 Cor Anglais 8 Cromorne PEDAL ORGAN 32 Contrebass 16 Sub-bass 16 Violon 16 Bourdon 12 Quinte 8 Principal 8 Violoncello 4 Octave 32 Bombarde 16 Bombarde 8 Trumpet 4 Clarion

Photo by Reverend George Lane, S.J.

2

PIPE ORGANS OF CHICAGO

HOLY FAMILY CATHOLIC CHURCH

Chicago, Illinois

Though mute, the Mitchell façade is one of the finest nineteenth-century examples in the Midwest. Photo by Reverend George Lane, S.J. Specification of 1879 Steinmeyer opus 197: MANUAL 8 Principal (17 in façade) 8 Gamba 8 Salicional 8 Gedeckt 4 Octav 4 Flöte (harmonic) III Mixtur (2-2/3', 2', 1-3/5') PEDAL 16 Subbass (wood, at rear) 8 Violon COUPLERS Copula (Manual to Pedal) Octave Coupler (unlabelled foot lever) The 1879 Steinmeyer tracker. The reverse keydesk of the Steinmeyer.

PIPE ORGANS OF CHICAGO

3

Information

20-21 Holy Family RCC.indd

3 pages

Find more like this

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate

1115624


You might also be interested in

BETA
20-21 Holy Family RCC.indd