Read Vicens Vives text version
EXAMINATIONS GRAMMAR & VOCABULARY SUPPLEMENTARY ENGLISH-SPEAKING WORLD READERS
BLACK CAT ELT
Total KET, PET, FCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-3 KET, PET, FCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4-5 Pass Trinity . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6-7
GRAMMAR & VOCABULARY
Grammar Tour . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fusion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Grammar Goals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . English Grammar Framework . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 8 8 9 10 10 10 11 11 11 11 12
Going for CLIL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Connections . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60 Activities and Games for Pairwork . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Festivals and Food . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
British History Seen Through Art . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . In and around London . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . LifeLike . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cultural Links . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Earlyreads / Easyreads / Green Apple . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13 Reading & Training . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14 R&T Discovery and R&T Professional . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
Total Exam Preparation with Black Cat's New Series
Thousands of candidates take Cambridge ESOL exams every year and our new series can help your students to be among the successful ones. Black Cat's new Total series is made up of three distinct courses to prepare students for Cambridge ESOL's KET, PET and FCE exams. They are written by experienced Cambridge writers, who have used their extensive knowledge of the exams to write stimulating and up-to-date courses. Each course takes into careful consideration the age, language level and interests of the students, whilst covering the grammar, vocabulary and skills required for the relevant exam. They offer practice in both the paper and computer-based versions of the exams. Each course has a different focus giving students guided practice in the parts of each exam which they typically find more challenging. This will ensure that students are well prepared for the exams and help to build their confidence.
Amanda Thomas Total KET provides complete preparation for the Key English Test KET (A2 Waystage of the Common European Framework of Reference). The course takes into account the interests and lifestyles of teenagers. Total KET focuses on communication. It provides students with comprehensive practice and guidance for the Listening and Speaking papers of the KET exam. This training also helps students to communicate in real-life situations. The course is also suitable for preparation for the KET for Schools exam.
· 15 topic-based units · 5 Exam Banks for extensive practice of exam-style tasks · Exam tips · Complete coverage of the KET word list · Illustrated Grammar Bank with further explanations of grammar structures up to KET level and additional practice exercises · Communication Bank giving further practice of the functional language required for the exam through examstyle tasks · Word List of the KET vocabulary covered in the units · 96-page Skills & Vocab Maximiser which strengthens students' knowledge of vocabulary and communicative language for the exam as well as giving Further Practice in exam-style tasks · 2 KET Practice Tests · CD-ROM with a computer-based versions of the 2 Practice Tests · Teacher's Book with additional teaching ideas, answer keys and recording scripts
Communication is the key
· Well-organised units each including the following sections: Warmer, Vocabulary, Grammar, Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing · Teacher-friendly exercises allowing effective classroom management · Extensive practice of exam-style tasks · Audio CD-ROM with 2 complete computer-based Practice Tests · Accompanying Maximiser with additional practice of the more challenging aspects of the exam · Written to the most recent exam specifications
Students Book (112 p.) + Skills & Vocab Maximiser (96 p.) + audio CD-ROM + audio CD 978-88-530-0998-2 Teachers Book (96 p.) + class CD 978-88-530-0627-1
Felicity O'Dell, Rosalie Kerr Total PET is a complete preparation course for the Cambridge ESOL Preliminary English Test PET (B1 Threshold of the Common European Framework of Reference). It is suitable for students of all ages. The focus of Total PET is on vocabulary and the course covers all of the vocabulary recommended for PET on the CESOL word list, and a lot more, too. It encourages students to practise lexis appropriate to their personal requirements, e.g. nationality, hobbies, likes and dislikes. Total PET offers up to 50 hours of teaching material for intensive exam preparation or use alongside a general language course. It can also be used to prepare students for the PET for Schools exam.
· 20 topic-based units · 5 Exam Banks revising vocabulary and grammar through exam-style tasks · Exam tips · Extensive Grammar Bank · Writing Bank with students' sample answers and examiners' comments · Word List of PET vocabulary in the units · 112-page Vocabulary Maximiser which revises and extends the vocabulary presented in the Student's Book completely covering the PET word list · Tips for lear ning vocabulary and examples of useful language for communicating · 1 PET Practice Test and 1 PET for Schools Practice Test · CD-ROM with a computer-based versions of the 2 Practice Tests · Teacher's Book with additional teaching ideas, answer keys and recording scripts
Annie Broadhead, Ginni Light, Robert Hampton Total FCE is a preparation course for the First Certificate in English FCE (B2 Vantage of the Common European Framework of Reference). The choice of interesting texts and variety of exercises make Total FCE suitable for students of all ages. Total FCE focuses on the two aspects of the FCE exam identified as being the most challenging for students Use of English and Writing. Extensive practice of exam-style tasks from these papers and step-by-step guidance through example tasks will allow students to develop their own techniques for approaching them.
· 16 topic-based units · Use of English tasks after every unit, providing extensive practice · Exam tips · Exam strategies which lead students stepby-step through the different exam tasks · Extensive Grammar Bank · Writing Bank with strategies on how to approach the tasks on the writing paper · Language Bank offering a step-by-step guide to the four different tasks in the Use of English paper · 128-page Language Maximiser providing further practice of FCE-level vocabulary and grammar through exam-style tasks · 2 FCE Practice Tests · CD-ROM with a computer-based version of the 2 Practice Tests · Teacher's Book with additional teaching ideas, answer keys and recording scripts
Extend your vocabulary and pass the exam
Use your English to your advantage
Students Book (128 p.) + Vocabulary Maximiser (112 p.) + audio CD-ROM 978-88-530-0715-5 Teachers Book (96 p.) + class CD 978-88-530-0696-7
Students Book (192 p.) + Language Maximiser (128 p.) + audio CD-ROM + audio CD 978-88-530-1000-1 Teachers Book (112 p.) + class CDs 978-88-530-0695-0
The mini-course for the Cambridge ESOL Key English Test with Practice Test
Amanda Thomas Pass KET can be used as a short intensive course or alongside students' regular course at A2 Waystage of the CEFR.
KET Practice Tests Extra
Five Practice Tests for the Cambridge ESOL Key English Test
Amanda Thomas KET Practice Tests provides exam preparation and revision.
The comprehensive course for the Preliminary English Test
David Maule Pass PET is suitable for B1 Threshold of the CEFR.
PET Practice Tests Extra
Six Practice Tests for the Cambridge ESOL Preliminary English Test
Felicity O'Dell PET Practice Tests Extra provides exam preparation and revision.
· 12 short easy-to-use units · Sections on skills, grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation in each unit · PET exam-style activities · Two audio CDs with PET-type listening exercises and pronunciation activities · Workbook section focusing on grammar and vocabulary · Exam Practice section in the workbook · Teacher's Book with answer keys, recording scripts, lesson plans, exam information and additional activities. · An Answer Key available separately.
· 8 short easy-to-use units · G r a m m a r C h e c k a n d Wo r d b a n k sections in each unit · Exam Skills with exam strategies · 1 complete KET Practice Test · Authentic KET-type listening tasks and pronunciation activities on audio CD · Strong emphasis on speaking skills · Te a c h e r 's B o o k w i t h l e s s o n p l a n s , answer keys, recording scripts, exam information and additional activities · Two new computer-based tests on CD-ROM.
Students Book with Practice Test (104 p.) + audio CD/CD-ROM 978-88-530-0992-0 Teachers Book (48 p.) + class audio CD 978-88-7754-921-1
· · · · 5 complete Practice Tests Information boxes about the exam Extra language practice Audio CD and audio CD/CD-ROM with two computer-based tests · Photocopiable answer sheets · Grammar and Vocabulary Files to record language items from the tests · Downloadable Teacher's Book with answer keys and recording scripts, a guide to marking the writing and speaking tasks.
· 6 complete Practice Tests · Grammar and Vocabulary files for recording language · Language practice in 15 lessons · Photocopiable answer sheets · How to improve sections after each test · Teacher's Book with answer keys, guide to marking the writing and speaking tasks and sample answers for tasks in Test 1 · Two audio CDs with the complete listening tests · Two computer-based tests on CD-ROM.
Students Book (160 p.) + 1 audio CD/CD-ROM + 1 audio CD 978-88-530-0644-8 Teachers Book (32 p.) 978-88-530-0600-4
Students Book (144 p.) + 1 audio CD/CD-ROM + 1 audio CD 978-88-530-0923-4 Teachers Book downloadable by registered users from www.blackcat.vicensvives.net
Students Book (224 p.) + 2 audio CDs Teachers Book (80 p.)
The Complete English Course for the 2008 specifications
David Maule, Madeleine du Vivier Pass FCE is a comprehensive general English course which prepares students for the Cambridge ESOL First Certificate in English, B2 Vantage of the CEFR. Pass FCE is suitable for young teenagers and above and can be used either in class or for self-study. Workbook key and Tests keys downloadable for registered users from www.blackcat.vicensvives.net
FCE Practice Tests Extra
· 15 easy-to-use, topic based units · Revision sections every 3 units · Workbook focuses on the grammar and vocabulary of each unit, reinforcing and improving students' knowledge · Exam Practice sections of the Workbook feature practice test questions, detailed descriptions of each part of the exam and exam advice · Focus on Reading and Writing Section with a wide variety of authentic reading texts · Full FCE Practice Test in the Workbook · Free audio CD provides a complete range of authentic FCE-type listening exercises and pronunciation activities · Teacher's Book includes lesson plans, exam information, advice and additional activities, photocopiable resources answer keys and recording scripts. · Pass FCE Tests
Eight Practice Tests for the Cambridge ESOL First Certificate in English
Felicity O'Dell FCE Practice Tests Extra provides complete exam preparation and revision for the Cambridge ESOL First Certificate in English 2008 specifications.
· 8 complete Practice Tests · Full colour photos and illustrations for the speaking test · Additional speaking material for groups of three students · Photocopiable answer sheets to give authentic practice for the exam · Score sheets to monitor students' progress in each task of each paper · Advice from Felicity section, with focus on FAQs
· Teacher's Book with answer keys and recording scripts, a guide to marking the writing tasks and important information on organising and marking the speaking test.
· Extra writing lessons on the new e-mail and review tasks · Extra vocabulary lessons on lexical items taken from each test · Extra language lessons on grammatical items from each test · All tests in the updated 2008 format · New CD-ROM with Practice Tests
Students Book (224 p.)
978-88-530-0851-0 Students Book (224 p.) + 1 audio CD/CD-ROM + 2 free audio CDs 978-88-530-0860-2 Teachers Book (48 p.) 978-88-530-0861-9
Workbook with FCE Practice Test (128 p.) + free audio CD 978-88-530-0852-7 Teachers Book (128 p.) + Class CD 978-88-530-0853-4
The essential short coursebooks to stimulate and support language learning at levels A1, A2, B1, B2 and C1 of the CEFR.
The Pass Trinity series helps students to reflect on and improve their language learning, whether they intend to take an exam or not. Each title helps students to organise their work and show the very best they are capable of in their Language Portfolio, Trinity Integrated Skills Examinations (ISE I and II), or Trinity Spoken English Examinations from Grades 1-10. All titles have been updated for the 2007-2010 specifications.
Grades 1-2 CEFR A1
Stuart Cochrane Pass Trinity 1-2 is suitable for 8-12 year-olds and above.
Grades 3-4 CEFR A2
Stuart Cochrane Pass Trinity 3-4 is suitable for 10-14 year-olds and above.
· · · · · 10 two-page lessons for each grade Communication tasks with pairwork activities A Word Bank with lists of key vocabulary Listen and repeat exercises on the CD audio Photocopiable `can do' tables to help the teacher evaluate students' speaking abilities
· · · · 12 four-page units Initial Diagnostic Test A photocopiable Topic Form for Grade 4 12 comprehensive units covering all four skills
· Grammar focus in every unit · Exam preparation activities and advice · Coverage of lexical and subject areas for each grade · Practice of all four skills with special focus on listening tasks to develop skills for the interview · Full colour Review sections with photos and pictures to practise for the interview · Free audio CD with additional pronunciation practice
Students Book (64 p.) + audio CD Teachers Book (48 p.)
Students Book (64 p.) + audio CD Teachers Book (48 p.)
Teacher's Book features:
· Lesson plans for each unit · Speaking prompts for the Review pages · Full key and recording scripts
Grades 5-6 and ISE I CEFR B1
Laura Clyde, Ray Parker Pass Trinity 5-6 is suitable for 14-year-olds and above.
Grades 7-8 and ISE II CEFR B2
Laura Clyde, Shannon West Pass Trinity 7-8 is suitable for 16-year-olds and above and for students who are required to have B2 level certification for university entrance.
Grades 9-10 CEFR B2/C1
Tricia Hansen Pass Trinity 9-10 is suitable for young adults.
· 8 eight-page units · Initial Diagnostic Test · A photocopiable Topic Form for Grades 5 and 6 interview practice · Past portfolio tasks to help prepare for the Portfolio written work · FAQ on grading and marks · Sample speaking frames for the interview · Teacher's Book with comprehensive guidance on how to mark the portfolio tasks
Students Book (96 p.) + audio CD Teachers Book (48 p.) 978-88-530-0185-6 978-88-530-0186-3
· 12 six-page units · Initial Diagnostic Test · Past portfolio tasks to help prepare for the Portfolio written work · Fact File with writing advice · Advice and practice for the Interactive Task · A sample Portfolio Feedback Form · Teacher's Book with guidance on how to mark the portfolio tasks
· 12 comprehensive units · Coverage of the subject areas for both List A and List B at Grade 10 · Advice and practice for the Interactive Task · Advice and practice for both types of Listening Task at Grade 10 · Teacher's Book with additional Interactive and Listening Tasks
Students Book (112 p.) + audio CD Teachers Book (56 p.)
Student's Book (96 p.) + audio CD Teacher's Book (48 p.)
Grammar & Vocabulary
A reference and practice grammar for elementary to intermediate students
Derek Sellen Level A1 CEFR to intermediate and beyond B1. Grammar Tour can be used as the basis of a course, as a supplement to a main coursebook or as a reference and exercise book for home study.
A reference and practice book in vocabulary and grammar
Derek Sellen Level A2-B1 and beyond. Fusion offers an integrated approach to learning vocabulary and grammar. Fusion can be used in the classroom for vocabulary development and grammar revision, as a supplement to a main coursebook, as a source of revision and practice material, or for self-study.
Reference and practice for pre-intermediate to intermediate students
Derek Sellen Level B2 Vantage of the CEFR.
· · · · 110 units, each focusing on one area of grammar A wealth of different exercise types 12 Review Sections containing FCE-style questions Audio CD/CD-ROM, with the recordings of all the dialogues and other selected exercises, and also 13 complete tests for the FCE Paper 3, Use of English with immediate scoring and feedback. · A separate answer key for teachers Downloadable from our site: · Grammar Check, which can be used as an entry or exit test · Tests and answer key for the class · Mp3 files with recordings of all the introductory paragraphs to the theory pages
Grammar Goals CD-ROM is also available separately.
Book + audio CD/CD-ROM Answer key 978-88-530-0824-4 downloable online
· 132 two-page units focusing on one area of grammar · Introductory section of 17 units, which covers the basics of English grammar · More than 1,000 exercises presented in a range of realistic text-types. · Coverage of the complete grammar syllabus for the Cambridge ESOL PET · 21 revision sections including KET and PET exam-style questions · A Grammar Check with answer key · CD-ROM with exercises · Separate answer key with additional open exercises for use in class
Book + CD-ROM Answer key (64 p.) 978-88-530-0504-5 978-88-530-0505-2
· 60 units · Theory pages presenting the vocabulary and grammar with examples in context and concise explanations · Wide variety of exercises focusing on all four skills, which practise the vocabulary in context · Supplementary KET-, PET- and FCE-style reading and listening exercises · Audio CD/CD-ROM, which as well as the recordings of the listening exercises in the book, also offers a monolingual dictionary with emphasis on pronunciation · Separate answer key with additional tests
Book (160 p.) + audio CD/CD-ROM Answer key and Tests 978-88-530-0617-2 downloable online
Grammar & Vocabulary
English Grammar Framework
English Grammar Framework is a series of reference and practice books for learners at elementary to intermediate level. They can be used as reference books in class, as selfstudy tools, for homework or as supplements to a coursebook.
English Grammar Framework
Reference and practice for elementary students at A2 level
Jennifer Gascoigne English Grammar Framework A2 is designed for students at the levels described as A1 or A2. Also ideal for students preparing for the Cambridge ESOL KET exam, Trinity exams grades 1-5, and the Preliminary and Access levels of the City and Guilds suite of exams.
English Grammar Framework
Reference and practice for pre-intermediate students at B1 level
Jennifer Gascoigne, Gillian Hammond English Grammar Framework B1 is designed for students at pre-intermediate level and ideal for students preparing for the Cambridge ESOL PET exam, Trinity exams grades 5 and 6 and the Achiever level of the City and Guilds suite of exams.
English Grammar Framework
Reference and practice for intermediate students at B2 level
Jennifer Gascoigne English Grammar Framework B2 is designed for students at intermediate level and it is also ideal for students preparing for the Cambridge ESOL FCE exam, Trinity exams grades 7 and 8 and the Communicator level of the City and Guilds suite of exams.
· Clear and simple grammar explanations · Lively colour illustrations which help provide a context for the language · A variety of practice exercises including controlled and `open' exercises · A range of text types : dialogues, e-mails, stories etc. · Opportunities for both written and oral practice · Supplementary exercises at the end of each volume · Vocabulary suggested by the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) · Detailed appendices · Index · Audio CD/CD-ROM containing recordings of the dialogues and exercises for pronunciation and intonation practice, plus a wide range of interactive exercises focusing on vocabulary, pronunciation, listening and structures · For B1 and B2 levels downloadable free for registered users from www.blackcat.vicensvives.net: Mp3 files of the recordings of the dialogues in the supplementary section answer key to the supplementary exercises.
· 52 units · Audio CD/CD-ROM which offers exercises on all the topic areas in the Waystage learning objectives of the CEFR plus KET-style exercises
· 65 units · Supplementary exercises providing practice for the PET exam. · Audio CD/CD-ROM which covers all the topic areas of the Threshold learning objectives of the CEFR.
· 52 units · Supplementary exercises providing practice for the FCE exam. · Audio CD/CD-ROM which covers all the topic areas of the Vantage lear ning objectives of the CEFR.
Book (128 p.) + audio CD/CD-ROM Answer key (16 p.)
978-88-530-0711-7 downloable online
Book (160 p.) + audio CD/CD-ROM Answer key (16 p.)
978-88-530-0820-6 downloable online
Book (128 p.) + audio CD/CD-ROM Answer key (16 p.)
978-88-530-0962-3 downloable online
Going for CLIL
Cross-curricular texts and activities
Gina D. B. Clemen Going for CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) is designed for young teenagers at elementary level (CEFR A1-A2). Offering a selection of cross-curricular texts and activities, Going for CLIL is divided into three graded sections (A1, A1-A2, A2). Each section presents a wide choice of texts taken from three academic subjects: Geography, History and Science.
Cross-curricular exercises and tests
Lelio Pallini Designed with an eye to CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning), Connections is intended to meet the functional and notional requirements of EFL teaching at CEFR levels B1-B2. Teacher's book available separately.
60 Activities and Games for Pairwork
Jennifer Gascoigne 60 Activities and Games for Pairwork is a photocopiable resource book of stimulating and entertaining language activities, which teachers can use to supplement a coursebook at preintermediate level (B1 Threshold) or to help prepare for the Cambridge ESOL PET and Trinity grades 5 and 6. · Short, flexible activities: most activities take about 20 minutes, and they can easily fit into any phase of an English lesson · Interactive activities: the emphasis is on spoken interaction · Aspects of language covered include: verb tenses, verb patterns, question formation, phrasal verbs, comparison, lexis, collocation, spelling, pronunciation and stress
Book (112 p.) 978-88-530-0391-1
· Sixty full-colour units, each of which deals with a new topic · Three sections Reading, Listening and Speaking, Use of English and Writing which cover the task types of the five papers of the FCE exam · Three Cross-sectional Maps offering examples of possible itineraries to follow · Audio CD containing the listening activities
· 18 full-colour units, each dealing with one topic of the content subjects: Geography, History, Science · Activities including extensive comprehension work to aid understanding · Internet Projects to explore the topics further · Glossary to explain the meaning of difficult words · Audio CD with the recording of the texts and some additional listening activities · Downloadable answer key from our website www.blackcat-cideb.com
Book (128 p.) + audio CD Teacher's Book (40 p.)
Book (96 p.) + audio CD 978-88-530-0947-0 Answer key downlodable for registered users from: www.blackcat.vicensvives.net
Supplementary / English-Speaking World
Festivals and Food British History G. Breccia, R. Accorroni, M. Hornett, Seen Through Art M. Agostinelli
Festivals and Food, created speci-fically for young adolescents, is about British language and culture. Festivals and Food features: · reader-friendly language, appropriate for young adolescents at elementary level · a b ro a d v a r i e t y o f i n t e r a c t i v e educational material · cross-curricular activities · use of the web · i n n o v a t i v e g ro u p p ro j e c t s a n d activities · a useful four-language glossary (Italian, French, Spanish, German) · the accompanying recording includes parts of the text, listening activities, and a Christmas Carol
Book + CD (64 pages) Key to the exercises 978-88-775-4549-7
In and around London LifeLike
Amanda Parsons A group of teenagers from different European countries go to London during the summer. Their holiday is about discovering a new city, its people and a different way of life.
Gina D. B. Clemen, Laura Stagno
Multicultural experiences in the Englishspeaking world
Graeme Thomson, Silvia Maglioni LifeLike offers a new approach to learning about the cultures of the English-speaking world. Together with material such as articles, websites, songs, maps, geographical data, LifeLike employs a range of short passages of fiction, essay and autobiography. LifeLike is subdivided into 8 topic areas connected to aspects of everyday life: home, education, work, food, travel, leisure & sport, fashion & shopping, music & the arts. LifeLike is accompanied by an audio CD/CDROM, featuring both the audio recording and an interactive CD-ROM with 8 short film clips and interactive activities.
intermediate - B1.2/B2
British History Seen Through Art relates the significant events of British History with a detailed commentary on the most important works of art of the period, which are beautifully presented in full colour. This book has its own website, www.britishhistoryart.com, with links to other sites where you can find out more about the themes introduced in each chapter and work on the corresponding activities.
· Activities for each chapter · Windows on the literary and historic figures related to the city as well as curiosities about England, the people and the language · Internet Itineraries enabling students to book flights, make restaurant and theatre reservations and organise a day trip outside London using the Internet · Accompanying audio CD offering the recording of most of the text and the listening exercises
intermediate - B1.2/B2
· · · · Cross-curricular approach PET-style exercises Exit test Audio CD containing a recording of the text and the listening activities
pre-intermediate - B1
Book (128 p.) + audio CD 978-88-7754-618-0 Answer key downloadable from our website www.blackcat.vicensvives.net
Book (144 p.) + audio CD 978-88-7754-550-3 Answer key downloadable from our website www.blackcat.vicensvives.net
Book (144 p.) + audio CD/CD-ROM 978-88-530-0327-0 Teachers Book (56 p.) 978-88-530-0431-4
Philippa Bowen, Margherita Cumino Cultural Links explores and discovers the English-Speaking World and offers links through the British Isles across North America, India, Australia, New Zealand and more.
· each File consists of two parts: the first deals with the topic and allows the student to learn about the topic itself. The second focuses on teenage issues and challenges the students to think about themselves and the world around them · in each File, literary texts by famous writers, such as Bruce Chatwin, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, focus on the main topic of the unit. · Word bank for lexical practice · each File is accompanied by activities on the four skills
Cultural Links offers a DVD with clips on geographical, cultural and historical topics. It also offers language practice as well as discussion and debating activities.
Book (168 p.) 978-88-530-1024-7 DVD Teachers Book + audio CD 978-88-530-0394-2
7 Files to discover the English-speaking World
Cultural Links consists of 7 topics (files), dealing with the differences and similarities of the countries which are part of the Englishspeaking World. Language: how much has the English language changed? How does English manage to create and keep a common link among far-off countries and people of the world? Identity: what does English national identity mean to English-speaking countries in an ever increasing multi-ethnic and multicultural world? Countries and Places: geographical, socioeconomical and cultural passport of Englishspeaking countries Flashback: the main historical events of English-speaking countries, from the Industrial Revolution to the Great Depression to the difficult Irish Question and many more People and Lifestyle: contemporary issues such as family and how it is changing, fashion, sport, social networking Education: traditional and contemporary British Education, characteristics of north-American schools, school programmes like Erasmus and much more Institutions: an overview of the Englishspeaking World institutions, interactions with the European Union and the important world organisations.
BLACK CAT publishes several series of readers offering a complete selection of material for learners of different ages, needs and interests from school children to adults and business people. Black Cat readers help expand students' learning in all kinds of directions and in all kinds of ways. The activities, dossiers and introductions are full of information, and students can explore links with many other subject areas including history, geography, science, culture and films. As well as the contents there is the artwork, dramatised recordings, internet projects and CDROMs, which help to create reading material that is both educational and entertaining.
EARLYREADS are designed for young readers from four to twelve years old. In this series, there are both original stories and traditional tales which appeal to children. The activities are fun and illustrations are used to check comprehension and test vocabulary.
EASYREADS are short, non-fiction readers, designed for learners at a low level of English.
The GREEN APPLE series includes both adaptations of classic texts and original stories, suitable for young teenage readers. Striking illustrations are very important in this series both for the comprehension of the text and in related activities.
Level 1 Level 1
· · · · · Dorothy The Enormous Turnip F The Gingerbread Man A Trip to the Safari Park The Ugly Duckling
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · Alice's Adventures in Wonderland Bathsheba the Witch Beauty and the Beast Black Beauty Five Children and It The Ghost Ship of Bodega Bay Halloween Horror The Happy Prince and The Selfish Giant The Jungle Book F Just So Stories N The Nutcracker Peter Pan Sandokan N The Secret Garden The Secret of the Stones The Tempest The Wind in the Willows The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Zorro!
· · · · · Bugaboo the Wicked Witch Cinderella The Jungle Book The Little Mermaid Monster in the Box
· · · · ·
Castles and Knights The Story of Chocolate The Story of Coffee The Story of Football Wolves
Level 2 Level 2
· · · · Little Red Riding Hood The Mad Teacher Mowgli Learns to Swim F The Owl's Song
· · · · · · · · · · · Aesop's Fables Christmas Fun Dracula and his Family Festivals! Frankenstein at School Freddy Finds the Thief A Halloween Party The Magic Computer Mouse Puss in Boots Sleeping Beauty Space Monsters
· · · · · · · ·
The Life and Times of Captain Cook The Life and Times of Shakespeare The Story of Big Cities The Story of Moving Pictures The Story of Popular Music The Story of Tea The Story of the Olympic Games Vikings
· Ghastly Ghosts! · Great Expectations · Halloween... Magic, Witches and Vampires · N Jason and the Argonauts · Legends from the British Isles · Little Women · f The Lost Treasure of Bodega Bay · f A Midsummer Night's Dream · Mystery in San Francisco · The Prince and the Pauper · The Railway Children · Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow · Robinson Crusoe · N Sherlock Holmes and the Red Circle · f The Treasure of Franchard · The True Story of Pocahontas
· · · · · · · · · · Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Call of the Wild David Copperfield Great English Monarchs and their Times King Arthur and his Knights Oliver Twist Oscar Wilde's Short Stories Robin Hood Treasure Island White Fang
· · · · · Aladdin Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves The Canterville Ghost Nasreddin Ten Stories Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs · Two Monsters · Zed the Magician
· · · · · · · The Adventures of Tom Sawyer American Folk Tales The American West The Black Arrow The Bottle Imp British and American Festivities Davy Crockett
The READING & TRAINING READERS series is for teenagers and adults. These graded readers are mostly adaptations of classics but also original fiction and some non-fiction. They have a very wide range of features and therefore offer much more than just a text. READING SHAKESPEARE offers a choice of Shakespeare's greatest plays in accessible modern English. Some editions have a playscript at the end.
Step One A2 KET
· N Alien Alert in Seattle · Home for Christmas · Miami Police File: the O'Nell Case · Missing in Sydney · Sherlock Holmes Stories · Tales from The Thousand and One Nights · Tristan and Isolde
Step Two B1 PET
· Alice's Adventures in Wonderland · Animal Tales · Around the World in Eighty Days · · · · A Dream Come True The Fisherman and his Soul Hamlet · RS The Jumping Frog
Step Three B1 PET
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · The £1,000,000 Banknote Alien al School Bizarre Tales The Canterville Ghost Classic Detective Stories The Diamond as Big as The Ritz Great Mysteries of Our World Gulliver's Travels The Hound of the Baskervilles Jane Eyre Julius Caesar · RS Kim Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories Moonfleet The Phantom of the Opera The Prisoner of Zenda The Red Badge of Courage The Return of Sherlock Holmes Romeo and Juliet · RS The Scarlet Pimpernel Sherlock Holmes Investigates Stories of Suspense The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Tales of the Supernatural Three Men in a Boat Treasure Island True Adventures Stories Twelfth Night · RS F The Vampire's Tear The Vegas Hills Carnival Mystery
Step Four B2 FCE
· · · · · American Horror Beowulf The Big Mistake Ne The Canterbury Tales A Christmas Carol
Step Five B2 FCE
· · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · The Age of Innocence Emma Frankenstein Gothic Short Stories Great Expectations The Great Gatsby Heart of Darkness Jane Eyre F Lord Jim Middlemarch The Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Purloined Letter Pamela A Passage to India Persuasion The Picture of Dorian Gray The Portrait of a Lady Pride and Prejudice The Problem of Cell 13 Robinson Crusoe The Scarlet Letter Sense and Sensibility Sons and Lovers Ne A Tale of Two Cities The Taming of the Shrew · RS Tess of the D'Urbervilles Vanity Fair Wuthering Heights The X-Files: Squeeze
· Daisy Miller · Dracula · Famous British Criminals · N The House of the Seven Gables · Jack the Ripper · The Last of the Mohicans · Macbeth · RS · The Merchant of Venice · RS · A Midsummer Night's Dream · RS · Moby Dick · The Moonstone · Le Morte d'Arthur · Much Ado About Nothing · RS · Othello · RS · The Secret Agent · The Sign of Four · · · · · · · A Study in Scarlet Tom Jones The Tragedy of Dr Faustus The Turn of the Screw The Valley of Fear Washington Square Wicked and Humorous Tales
· Kidnapped · The Lost World · Magical Tales from the South Seas · Murder at Coyote Canyon · The Mutiny on the Bounty · The Rajah's Diamond · The Ransom of Red Chief and Other Stories · F Rob Roy · Ne The Secret Garden · N Stories of Ghosts and Mystery · F The Willing Ghost
Step One Step Two Step Three Step Four Step Five Step Six
A2 Waystage B1 Threshold B1 Threshold B2 Vantage B2 Vantage C1 Effective
Cambridge ESOL Examinations
Exam level: KET Exam preparation: PET Exam level: PET Exam preparation: FCE Exam level: FCE Exam level: CAE
3, 4 4, 5 5, 6 7 8 9, 10
Step Six C1 CAE
· The Mill on the Floss · Silas Marner · Wuthering Heights
· The Woman in White
READING & TRAINING DISCOVERY is a series of factual readers. It is designed for teenagers, young adults and adults who, through reading about subjects of interest, can improve their English and broaden their knowledge at the same time. The series will cover a range of interesting subject matter, from famous people to places, to natural wonders. READING & TRAINING PROFESSIONAL is a series of graded readers suitable for business students or professionals. The readers can be used by learners in class or for self-study to refresh and extend their existing business English. They are available at Steps Two to Four. The series can also be used to prepare for the Cambridge ESOL Professional English Exam; BEC Preliminary and Vantage for general English. Michael Black
Step Two B1.1
Book (96 p.) + CD 978-88-530-0932-6
· Informative texts on a range of interesting subject matter with vocabulary footnotes · Use of photographs and illustrations with captions · Wide range of activities promoting understanding of the text and practising the four language skills
· Cambridge ESOL and Trinity exam-style activities · Internet projects · Dossiers which bring the subject matter into a literary, film or musical context · Full re c o rd i n g of the text, in British or American English · Answer key and exit test downloadable free from our website.
Step Three B1.2
Book (80 p.) + CD 978-88-530-0934-0
· Texts and topics similar to those used in the Cambridge ESOL Professional English exams in business English. · Grammatical and structural practice tasks to encourage reading for meaning · Wide range of stimulating activities practising the four language skills · Carefully designed exam-style activities to help prepare students for international qualifications in professional English · Recording of the texts and additional business-related listening tasks · Practice Test activities at corresponding exam level.
Step Four B2.1
Book (96 p.) + CD 978-88-530-0936-4
Gina D. B. Clemen
Great British Writers
Step One A2
Book (96 p.) + CD 978-88-530-0952-4
Step Two B1.1
Book (96 p.) + CD 978-88-530-0811-4
Gina D. B. Clemen
Step One A2
Book (96 p.) + CD 978-88-530-1021-6
Step Two B1.1
Book (96 p.) + CD 978-88-530-0994-4
Business English Certificate Preliminary test-style activities Business English Certificate Vantage test-style activities
Gina D. B. Clemen
Step Three B1.2
Book (112 p.) + CD 978-88-530-0996-8
Step Two Step Three Step Four
B1 Threshold B1 Threshold B2 Vantage
University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations
Exam preparation: BEC P Exam level: BEC P Exam preparation: BEC V
Visit our new website at www.blackcat.vicensvives.net
Teacher Resources · downloadable teacher's books, exit tests and answer keys, plus audio files · carefully selected web links to examination boards and other general teaching resources · information about forthcoming English teaching conferences and seminars
Student Resources · interesting and informative web links connected to specific titles Plus an online catalogue, updated information about new and forthcoming titles, downloadable catalogues and contact information
Avda. de Sarriá, 130 · Tel. 93 252 37 00 · Fax 93 252 37 11 · [email protected] · www.vicensvives.es · 08017 Barcelona
Depósito Legal: B.43.412 - LII
BLACK CAT ELT 2010