Read Microsoft Word - Conference center Manual3.doc text version

Conference Center Manual

Prepared For

Conference Center Committee

By J. Norman Martin 1956

The Leader's Prayer Dear lord, I am the camper's friend. If Christ is to be seen And heard

ACCOMMODATIONS Dormitories: Hoener Inn and Ayer Cottage serves both camps and conferences. Harker Lodge also serves pre-and post- camp conference with dormitory accommodations. Snackery: serves the camp on a regulated schedule and serves picnics after Memorial Day. Office: the Business Office is located in the rear of Hoener Inn.

In camp this year, He will be seen and heard In me. I pray That the boys and girls May see Jesus In me...amen. Athletic Equipment: picnic groups may rent some equipment. Apply at snackery. Mail: outgoing mail is to be deposited by campers in the camp office mailbox. Other may leave mail at the Business Office. The camp leaders will distribute incoming mail for campers. Staff mail is distributed from the Business Office.


BAPTIST CAMP OBJECTIVES 1. 2. To provide a wholesome Christian good time in the outof doors. To assist out campers in a growing understanding of Christian faith and teachings. To lead each camper to the next decision in spiritual development. This may be the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Savior, or the decision to make Him more fully the Lord of one's life through acts of more complete dedication and consecration, or a response to the call to specialized full-time Christian service in church vocation. To provide experiences of cooperative Christian living in which responsibilities are assumed and the welfare of each individual is considered. To instruct by precept and practice the Christian discipline of prayer, bible reading, and Christian stewardship. To lead to an appreciation and understanding of God which is acquired through a Christian interpretation of the wonders of His handiworks of creation and order in the great out-of-doors. To train growing Christians in the practices of Christian discipleship and church leadership that will find application in the local church and the Baptist world mission.

Nurses: Registered nurses are in residence for all camps at the Health Lodge. Health Lodge: Just north of Roberson Hall is the Harker Memorial health Lodge. Insurance: All campers and leaders are provided with medical reimbursement insurance through Higham, Neilson, Whitridge and Reid Company of Philadelphia. Hunterdon Medical Center: 12 miles south on Route 69. Somerset Hospital: 12 miles east on Route 28 Physicians: Alex H. Chritensen, Main St ­ Lebanon Robert Pierce, 111 Center, Clinton M. W. Looloian, Main St. Whitehouse James A. Harps, 72 Center, Clinton Whitehouse Rescue Squad Sate Police Clinton






BAPTIST CAMP OBJECTIVES CONT'D 8. Through leaders with Christian insights to provide friendly, helpful counseling in the solution of personal problems. To provide opportunities for learning new things ­ Bible knowledge, how to pray, songs, recreational features, life saving, nature study, handcraft, to name a few items ­ which will be used to make life more interesting after leaving camp. To broaden one's sense of Christian fellowship through becoming acquainted with new friends of like faith and concern.

REGULATIONS Swimming: the camp director, in consultation with the waterfront director, determines Schedules. Campers are not allowed on the docks unless lifeguards are on duty. Visitors may swim at such time as the lake is free on the camp schedule, but only by first registering at the Business Office. Fishing: permissible in two assigned areas. Visiting: Visitors are welcome at the Center at all times, Visitors are reminded, however, that the tents and dormitories are bedrooms and must be accorded privacy. Parking: adequate parking space is provided at the entrance, east of Vreeland Hall. Parking on the road will merely cause great inconvenience to our workers and interfere with service traffic. Fire Road: the land leading from Vreeland Hall to the lake is not for traffic. This road was built as a fire road, to enable fire equipment to get to the lakeside quickly in an emergency.



TRADITIONS Sunday is observed as the Christian's special day for group worship and relaxation and recreation. We make it different in tone from the other days for on this day of the week Jesus arose out of the dead. Mealtime and campfire singing on this day will lift up the spirituals and great hymns of the church. It is not a somber time, however for "this is the day which the lord hath made: let us be glad and rejoice in it". Most campers a time best remember vespers. In the quiet beauty of the sunset hour comes the moment for gathering together all of the happy events of the day and offering them with true heart's devotion to God. The Green Cathedral is our lovely outdoor chapel. This is a quiet area west of the lake. One approaches it through the pine needles, nature herself quieting our souls as we enter the place where we draw high to God. The Green Cathedral is used only for worship devotions or study never for recreational or fun programs.

SOME OUTCOMES FOR THE CAMPERS They shall have better knowledge and application of the bible, their church, true worship, and God's way of working. They should be more willing to act as unselfish, cooperative members of a group. They will learn to love and appreciate nature as a manifestation of the creative power of God. The experience will contribute to their mental and physical health. Prayer will be more meaningful and natural. They will grow in knowledge and appreciation of the world task of the Christian church. They will be growing into habits an attitudes of:: Sincerity, Honesty Fair Play, Reverence Punctuality, Cooperation Self-reliance, Cheerfulness Dependability, Unselfishness Purposefulness, Responsibility Good Sportsmanship, Thought for others They will be faced with the claim of Jesus and will be challenged to accept or rededicate themselves to Him as Master of their lives. The leader's part in guiding campers toward these outcomes is to believe in the importance of them, and by example and word to lead in commitment to them.

CONFERENCES Spring - - Fall - - Winter Lebanon serves thousands of children in its camps. To provide inspiration and training for adults is the second stage of development. This is accomplished in part through the conferences and retreats in the fall, winter and spring. Every available weekend from the close of camp one-year to the opening of camp the next year is used for high purposes. Local churches hold overnight retreats for officers and youth groups, planning conferences; the conventions commissions sponsor coaching and training conference for special groups; university and seminary students, business and professional women's clubs gathers for spiritual life retreats. Coaching conferences for lay ministers, for deacons and deaconesses, trustees, superintendents, youth advisors and other church and school leaders are now being developed. This is becoming a very important service to the churches. With the building of additional facilities the type of service is destined to increase, since it's value has already been established. Specific information about this service is available in special leaflets for the asking. Property manager: The property manager is caretaker of the Center. He resides at the Morgan House. As an employee of the Convention he is directly responsible to the conference Center Committee. Student staff: During the camping season a staff of forty-five high school and college level young people assist with the work. They serve as helpers on the grounds, in the kitchen and dining hall, offices, snackery, craft shop, on waterfront and wherever else needed. Program Staff: A professional staff serves throughout the camping season. The Chef, the Art-craft Director, Waterfront Director the Manager of the Snackery and business office, the Director of Recreation and music, the nurses, and the Student Staff Advisor are included in this staff.

PERSONNEL Director: The Center is under the direction of an appointee of the Board of Managers, a member of the Convention Staff. Camp Deans: Sometimes called directors, the men and women who supervise the several convention ­ Sponsored camps are appointed by the Commission on Education and Youth work. They build and administer their own program, clearing their schedules and other details with the Director of the Center. Counselors: These are mature persons able to share their own Christian experience with the boys and girls in the camps. They are pastors, wives, business and professional people who serve as volunteers, doing a very special kind of missionary work. To each counselor will be assigned 6 or 7 campers. These will occupy one tent; the counselor becomes their confidante to help them understand the way of Christians. Some specific opportunities are: See that they write home; help them describe their experiences. Drop a reassuring note to the parents. Tutor campers in good table manners, fair play, and cleanliness, care of property, Christian spirits. Interpret phases of the camp program. Help them form good devotional habits. Show interest in their activities. Cooperate with other leaders.

BUILDINGS Hoener Inn: Named for Max R. Hoener, prominent business man and lay worker, whose keen vision foresaw a great conference center; whose aid encouraged the Convention to hasten plans to raise the funds for Lebanon. He served the FirstPark Church, Plainfield, and at he Scotch Plains Church, he was moderator of East Association. Mrs. Violet Hoener, former President of the Convention, was one with her husband in working to secure Lebanon. She has been most active in its development. The inn is the large central building on Blossom Hill Road. It provides dormitory space for conference delegates and camp staff, and houses the business offices. Ayers Cottage: named for F. Wayland Ayer, a genius in the field of national advertising,. He was prominent in the work of the North Church, Camden. He served as president of the Convention for a total of twenty-five years in two terms. In his first term, the convention was organized with a headquarters and a full-time corresponding secretary. The cottage serves as a dormitory both summer and winter. It stands on Blossom Hill Road by the lower bridge.

CONFERENCE CENTER ORGANIZATION Vreeland Hall: The large triple barn unit is one of the most picturesque and serviceable on the grounds. The buildings are in good proportion and house major indoor activity. Here is located the assembly hall, registration office, camp office, snackery, artcraft shop, maintenance shop and storage. The unit is named for Conrad Vreeland, a pioneer Baptist layman in North Jersey. Born in Brooklyn in 1838, he made a fortune by the time he was 32 years old. He retired to Echo Lake and became the pastor of four churches. He built many churches and deeded eight of them to the convention. He left a very large sum of money to the North Association for the aid of rural churches. Roberson Hall: The first building erected by the Convention was the beautiful dining hall, named for honorable Horace Roberson., for many years of faithful member of the Bergen Point Church, Bayonne. He served as President of the Convention for one term and was a life member of the Board of Managers. An authority on early Baptist history he was a benefactor of the Convention and the Conference Center. Goodall Cabin: Dr. Charles E. Goodall served as Executive Secretary of the Convention from 1923 to 1943, and previous to that was pastor of First Church, Roselle. An enthusiastic amateur gardener and nature lover, the cabin by the lower pond is named for him. It serves for many kinds of small group meetings and is being developed as a nature museum. The New Jersey Baptist Conference Center, Inc. holds the title to the 109 acre property, all lands and buildings of which are made available to the Convention for camp and conferences, and such other activities as deemed proper by the Convention.

FINANCE The Center is a part of the program of every local church. The fees for services and contributions from the churches maintain it. Each church is asked to contribute annually a sum equal to 50 cents per resident member, or 1 cent per member per week. It is quite important that this contribution be made from the current expense budget of the church, not from benevolence. The Finance Commission of the Board of Mangers must approve the budget of the Center. The Convention's Auditors audit all of its accounts.

ADMINSITRATION The Conference Center Committee, a group of twenty-two persons appointed annually, as provided by the Convention constitution, operates the center. The Commission on Education and Youth Work sponsors the camps. The Commissions, committees and agencies sponsor coaching and training conferences.

THE ANGELUS BELL The bell near Roberson Hall is the camp angelus. It was cast of silver and bronze and weighs 300 pounds. Originally it was hung in the tower of the Central Church, Woodbury, and was presented to the Center when the new church was built without a bell tower. Mrs. Rebecca Wilkinson as a memorial to her daughter, Mrs. William A Stiles, gave the bell to the church on November 13, 1902. When the angelus rings all persons in camp pause for moments of prayer then campers and leaders move in silence to the vesper service. The bell was rededicated to its new mission on May 30th, 1955. Morgan House: The Rev. Abel Morgan was a true pioneer, serving as pastor of New Jersey's mother church, Middletown, from 1738-1785. His work extended far beyond this one church. He preached in and conducted communion services for at least twenty churches throughout the area. This well educated man taught scores of other ministers, teaching them biblical interpretations, theology, Hebrew and Greek. His large and valuable library was left to the Middletown Church and is now housed in the library of the Peddie School at Hightstown. His name is given to the residence at the foot of the lane, south of Blossom Hill Road. Here lives the property manager of the Center. Harker Memorial Health Lodge: North of Roberson Hall stands the health lodge, which houses the infirmary, wards, and nurses quarters. Built by the layman of New Jersey, it is a memorial to J. Alphaeus V. Harker, for many years and active leader in First Church Camden, and in Association, State and National layman work.

VILLAGES Colgate: the Colgate family has been prominent in Baptist history for more then a century. Samuel Colgate started the Convention's Church Edifice Fund, which is used to aid in establishing new churches and in extending the facilities of others. This fund now totals nearly $200,000.00. The Colgates by their liberal financial support, contributed to both the State and National Councils of Christian Education. Russell Colgate's personal interest in National Council work brought into being the annual Colgate Award, presented to that person who has rendered distinguished service in Christian Education. The first girls' village is named Colgate. Carpenter: The second girls' village is named in honor of John M. Carpener, who served as a pastor at Schooley's Mountain, Jacksonville, Vincentown, Perth Amboy, Jacobstown, Chamong, and Bloomingdale. He is buried at Jacobstown. For 52 years he served as a missionary, pastor and for 17 years was a member of the Board of Managers and its secretary. Swetland: Many illustrious educators have served as headmasters of Peddie School at Hightstown. Representative of these is Dr. Roger W. Swetland, who also served as President of the Convention 1928-1930. The Peddie School enjoys and enviable record among secondary schools and has consistently maintained high educational standards. The boys' village on the northeast hill is known as Swetland Village. DeWolf: Delvan DeWolf was a pastor in New Jersey, and later on served as Corresponding and General secretary from 1890 to 1918, and as Executive Secretary emeritus from 1919 to 1926. He was an organizer, administrator and prophet. As early as 1913 he called upon the Convention to establish a camp for boys and in 1916 the first of such camps was conducted, with Dr. John Killian, the Rev. Don kite, the Rev. Thomas Martin, and H. V. Howard assisting. Although not official set up, there were women interested in a camp for girls, and in this same year Miss Ruth Tapping of Peddie Church, directed such a camp. The boy's village to the north is known as DeWolf Village. Clayton: The student Staff Village is known as Clayton Village in Memory of Edward H. Clayton, A graduate of Peddie School, he became an educational missionary to China. When on furlough he taught in summer assemblies and camps. He was a member of the Red Bank Church.

BISSEL ROAD The township road that runs through the center property is of historic interest. It was originally the old Indian path through the North Jersey forest. It was over this trail that David Brainerd came from New England to be the first Protestant Missionary to the Indian national campfire near Phillipsburg.


Microsoft Word - Conference center Manual3.doc

10 pages

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate


You might also be interested in