Read Linehan%20Chapel.pdf text version

The Linehan Chapel

Nazareth College

4245 East Avenue Rochester, NY 14618

Project prepared by Manjela Tuladhar

Contents

1. History 2. The Linehan Chapel

a. The Chapel b. Altars c. Stations of the Cross d. The Organ e. The Gallery f. Stained Glass Window i. ii. iii. iv. v. vi. vii. viii. ix.

St. Joseph St. Cecilia St. Teresa of Avial St. Gertrude St. Ursula St. Anges St. Clare St. Rose of Lima St. Catherine of Alexandria

1 3 3 5 5 6 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 10 11 11 13 14 15 16

3. Reliquaries 4. The Services at the Chapel 5. Nazareth Campus Ministry and the Chapel

6. Missions and Goals

The Linehan Chapel

History

Chapel, structure, other than a church or cathedral, designed for worship. It may be isolated or within a church or annexed to it, or form part of a group of structures, as in a monastery, college, or palace. Worship in a chapel is usually less elaborate than worship in a church. The term chapel was derived from the Late Latin cappella ("short cloak"), a diminutive of cappa ("cloak"), and was the name given to the shrine in which the cappa of St. Martin, bishop of Tours and patron saint of France, was transported by the kings of the Franks in early medieval times. Later the term was applied to any sanctuary containing sacred relics, and the priest in charge of the sanctuary was termed the cappellanus, or chaplain. By further extension the word chapel came to have its present meaning. The Linehan Chapel is in The Golisano Academic Center, built in 1927 and was a part of the Motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Joseph until 2003. It is now a part of the Nazareth College. The Sisters of St. Joseph can trace its origin to the congregation founded in Le Puy, France, in 1650, as well as to the community reorganized in Lyon after the French revolution by Mother St. John Font Bonne. In 1836, in response to the

request of Bishop Joseph Rosati of St. Louis, Missouri, Mother St. John missioned six Sisters to travel to the United States. After a sevenweek ocean voyage, the sisters arrived in New Orleans and journeyed up the Mississippi river to St. Louis, where they established houses in Cahokia and Carondelet and began the work of educating children and the deaf. The community based in Carondelet grew quickly and bishops from dioceses around the country began to request assistance of the Sisters of St. Joseph. In 1854, when Bishop John Timon asked for the help of the Sisters in his diocese of Buffalo, NY, Mother Agnes Spencer led a group of four Sisters to Canandaigua, where they opened a school for girls and an orphan asylum at St. Mary's Parish. When the Diocese of Rochester was formed from the eastern part of the Diocese of Buffalo in 1868, Bishop Bernard McQuaid asked the Sisters of St. Joseph to establish a system of parochial schools. In addition to opening nearly 100 elementary schools and high schools, the Sisters also established and operated Nazareth College, St. Joseph's Hospital in Elmira, St. Ann's Home, and St. Joseph's Villa. The Linehan Chapel once the part of Motherhouse Sisters of St. Joseph, since 2003 is a part of Nazareth College. Nazareth College no longer is a catholic college and is no longer run by the nuns at the Motherhouse Sisters of St. Joseph.

The chapel building, the Golisano Academic Center is set on a lovely wooded expanse of land and was the sixth home of the Sisters of St. Joseph, since they arrived in 1854. Designed by architect Joseph P. Flynn in the English Tudor Gothic style, the building is a fivestory structure faced with pressed bricks of variegated tones and trimmed with stone. Its main entrance with carved stone pillars and niches is particularly impressive. The statue of St. Joseph set in the tower ­standing nine feet high and weighing two tons ­ was created by Jon Alexander, a 21yearold sculptor who became well known Rochester artist and chief exhibits designer for the Rochester Museum and Science Center. The statue depicts St. Joseph holding a staff with lilies that symbolize his worthiness to serve as protector of the Linehan.

The Linehan Chapel

The Linehan Chapel is a setting of beauty and

peacefulness, designed as was the rest of the building in the

Tudor Gothic Style by architect Joseph P. Flynn. A local newspaper article published in 1928 observed: "This is, of course, the central feature of the whole structure. Architect

and craftsmen have combined to produce here a place of and for the

worship meditation

sisters that one would have to travel for and wide to find more satisfying." Situated off the main foyer, the

chapel forms an open court between the two wings of the building. Its ceiling, supported by steel trusses encased in cypress, rises to a height of 55feet. At the base of each truss is a religious symbol included among these are the Holy Spirit, the anchor symbolizing Hope, the lily that is a sign of St. Joseph, an "M" and star

symbolizing Mary, and the fleurdelis that is the emblem of the Sisters of St. Joseph. Seating capacity is of approximately 500.

Altars

The redos of the original main altar have a handcarved canopy with a grapevine design and images of Christ's passion: chalice, crown of thorns, the initials HIS. A new altar of sacrifice, installed in 1984, was constructed of oak by Marcel Blaakman in the graceful shape of symbolizing the Alpha and Omega: Christ as the first and last, the beginning and end of all things. The side altars, simple in design, feature statues of Old Lady and St. Joseph, in keeping with the name and theme "Linehan Chapel".

Stations of the Cross

The Stations of the Cross, of relief design, were brought from the original Sisters of St. Joseph Motherhouse located on Jay Street in Rochester. They were created by the celebrated Meyer Studio of Munich.

The Organ

As befitting a worship space with wonderful acoustics, Linehan Chapel has an excellent pipe organ. Built by the renowned Skinner Company of Boston for Nazareth Academy in 1929, the instrument was transferred to Linehan Chapel in the 1950's. The chapel organ was included in a survey of Skinner organs conducted by the national organ Historical Society. Robert M. Hickey of Rochester's Hickey organ Company has described it as "a fine instrument. The voice is a very bright Romantic effect."

The Gallery

Above the choir loft, a set of five windows open into an alcove on the fourth floor. This gallery allowed Sisters who were unable to walk to the chapel to take part in Masses and other celebrations, with a full view of the worship area.

Stained Glass Windows

The chapel is graced with nine vivid stained glass windows created of English antique glass by Pike Studios of Rochester.

St. Joseph

The large window in the sanctuary features St. Joseph, patron of the Congregation. He is pictured holding the Christ Child and the staff with lilies that denotes his worthiness to be the holy guardian of the Linehan. Carpenter's tools, crossed with additional lilies, are shown to his right and left. At the top of the window is a small quatrefoil rose window with a dove, symbol of the Holy Spirit who inspires Christians and the Church. The windows on the aisles of the chapel present eight female saints: four members of religious communities, and four laywomen. These saints were chosen because their importance in the history of the Church, and because they are the same saints depicted in the chapel of the original Motherhouse in Jay Street.

St. Cecilia

Born to a patrician family, Cecilia was arrested and condemned to death by Romans for burying the bodies of martyred Christians. Her legend says that at her

wedding she did not hear the nuptial music, only ht song of God in her heart. For this reason, Cecilia is the patron saint of musicians and many church choirs have been named in her honor. She holds pipes representing the organ, the instrument with which she is often associated.

St. Teresa of Avila

A Carmelite, Doctor of the Church, and the great mystic, Teresa had many visions ­ including one in which an angel plunged an arrow with its point of fire into her heart, leaving her consumed by the love of God. She depicted with a book (symbolizing her knowledge) and with her heart crowned by flames and pierced with an arrow (symbolizing her vision). Teresa had a great devotion to St. Joseph, regarding him as her "protector and father".

St. Gertrude

A thirteenth century scholar and mystic, St. Gertrude was a member of the Benedictine community of Helfta, called the crown of German cloisters." Deeply devoted to the Sacred Heart, she had many visions of the Christ which she recorded in her Book of Extraordinary Grace. She is pictured holding a

book (symbol of knowledge) and a chalice (suggesting a vision in which offered her heart to Christ and saw it untied with His in the form of a chalice). She also holds a crozier indicating the authority of an abbess. (St. Gertrude never held that role, however she is often confused with the Abbess of Helfta, Gertrude von Hacheborn.)

St. Ursula

One of the most popular saints of the Middle Ages, Ursula was the daughter of a Christian King in Britain. Before her planned marriage to a pagan prince, she departed pilgrimage to Rome with a group of other young women, all of whom were slain by Huns near the Cologne. A basilica, probably built early in the fourth century, was said to mark the site. Ursula is shown dressed in royal robes, wearing a crown, and holding an arrow symbolizing her manner of death.

St. Agnes

An early Roman martyr and symbol of innocence, Agnes is depicted with a palm branch denoting martyrdom and lamb representing her purity. Her name is related to the Greek agnos

meaning pure, and to the Latin agnus meaning lamb. On her feast day (January 21), the sheep which provide wool to make the pallia of the Pope and archbishops are blessed in the convent of St. Agnes in Rome. She has been important saint in the history if the Sisters of St Joseph of Rochester over the years, 38 members of the Congregation have honored St. Agnes by taking her name in their religious names.

St. Clare

Born of a noble family in Assisi, Clare renounced her worldly possessions to become a follower of St. Francis and founded a community of Sisters (the second Order of St. Francis, also called the Poor Clares) who dedicated

themselves to the ideals of austerity, sacrifice, and spiritual joy. Because she created linens for the church altars, Clare is regarded as the patron of embroidery workers and launderers, and because she was afflicted with eye disease she is the patron saint of blind. She is shown holding a monstrance since her legend says she turned away an invading army from Assisi through the power of her prayer to the Christ in the Eucharist.

St. Rose of Lima

The first person born in the Western Hemisphere to be canonized by the Roman Catholic Church, Rose was the daughter of a Spanish Nobleman and a woman of Inca descent. A member of the Third Order of St. Dominic, she became known for her charitable work among the oppressed native people on the area of Liam. When she died, crowds of the poor followed in her funeral procession. She is shown wearing a crown of roses and holding a cross, symbol of her life of sacrifice.

St. Catherine of Alexandria

A fourth century martyr, Catherine was born to a noble family in Alexandria, Egypt. Blessed with great powers of intellect, she is said to have converted fifty pagan philosophers and two hundred pagan soldiers to Christianity on the strength of her teaching. Dressed in royal robes and crown, she is pictured with the martyr's palm and with a spiked wheel (called the "Catherine wheel") that

was the instrument of death. Her legend says that an angel carried her body to Mount Sinai where she is buried, on the site where St. Catherine's monastery stands today.

Reliquaries

On the east wall of the chapel are two large framed reliquaries, shaped like turreted cathedrals, which at first glance appear to be made of metal filigree. In fact, these two elaborate repositories for saints' relics are exquisite examples of the art of quilling: narrow strips of goldedged paper that have been rolled. Curled, and shaped. The threedimensional designs are mounted on dark velvet and enclosed in goldleafed plaster frames with a calla lily motif. According to research carried out by Rev. Robert F. McNamara, historian of the Diocese of Rochester, these reliquaries were designed to resemble monuments in two ancient churches of Pavia, Italy: the Tomb of St. Augustine in the Cathedral of Pavia, and the High Altar of the Royal Basilica of St. Michael. Most of the relics contained in the reliquaries are those of bishops of Pavia and saints associated with Milan. These beautiful works of art appear to have been created in 1866.

The Services at the Chapel

The services provided in the chapel are both Catholic and Protestant. Since the chapel is a Roman Catholic Chapel, most of the services are for Catholics. The main idea behind a mass is to consume in the body and the blood of the Christ. However, I have observed the mass to be a purpose to bring together people who otherwise would not normally meet and put them in a holy atmosphere where they share a spirit of togetherness and a sense of closeness to God. The mass basically begins with a prayer. Then they read verses from the Gospel and the Bible. The verses that are read are most of the time related to one another. Then some hymens are sung, then there is a short period when people shake hands with each other and wish them peace and goodwill. And then at the end of the mass the bread (the body of the Christ) and the wine (the blood of the Christ) is offered. Baptisms, weddings and funerals are other ceremonies that take place in a catholic church but are not performed in the Linehan Chapel. Services Catholic Mass Midday Mass Midday Mass Catholic Evening Prayer Protestant Worship Zen Meditation Day Sunday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Sunday Thursday Time 7:00 PM 12:10PM 12:30PM 9:00PM 8:30 PM 4:30 PM

Nazareth Campus Ministry and the Chapel

The Nazareth College Campus Ministry, the department at the college that handles the activities in the chapel, have in the years included many diverse activities into their calendar and have been, as stated above, provided its space for Zen Meditation. Similarly they have been very good at organizing many community service activities throughout the campus, organizing many activities that help contribute towards the poor and the needy. They recently had a campaign to collect canned food to distribute to the poor for thanksgiving, which they didn't just help collect but put into baskets (thanksgiving baskets) for distribution. This activity was reported in the local news. They also organize blood donating camps and food drives, like the OXIFARM Fast for Hunger program where the students could donate meals from their meal plan. Then the amount that added up to the donated meal plans was donated by SODEXO, the dining service at Nazareth College, to the fight against hunger.

Missions and Goals

Nazareth College has long recognized the importance of spiritual growth in the development of the whole person. The mission of Campus Ministry is to foster such by:

·

promoting and encouraging the spiritual growth of all members of the College through

· · ·

opportunities for reflection, prayer, worship and study nurturing a sense of community that respects and honors diversity working for social justice and encouraging generous service to those in need

·

being present and available to listen, console, and challenge with love.

Information

18 pages

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate

1075355