Read Yarram & District Historical Society Inc text version

Yarram & District Historical Society Inc.

P. O. 213 Yarram 3971 Victoria

President Mrs. Melva James Phone 5182 5806 [email protected] Secretary Mrs. Pam Pattison Phone 5196 6140 A0039739X ABN 61 025 409 610 www.vicnet.net.au/`ydhs

Newsletter May 2011

CELEBRATING 100 YEARS Since the formation of the first sub-centre of the Historical Society of Melbourne here in Yarram, May 1911 Following the founding of the Historical Society of Victoria in 1909 there was a hope that branches might be set up in various parts of Victoria to enable the history of those area to be collected and recorded. Rev. George Cox, the Anglican minister at Yarram, organized the founding of a sub-centre for the Historical Society at Yarram on 2 May 1911. The objective was to obtain as much information as possible on early history of South Gippsland. He launched it with a lecture "Monuments of World History" sponsored by the local A.N.A. referring to local historical relics such as "Seabank" home of Tyers, the old Alberton cemetery and the grave of Robert McClure. Several people remained after the meeting and agreed to form the subcentre. Source: "From These Beginnings" by John Adams , article quoted from Yarram Chronicle Another meeting recorded in the Gippsland Standard August Gwen Fraser & Margery Missen 4th 1911 Historical Society A meeting of the Yarram sub-centre of the above society was held at Dr. Rutter's residence on Wednesday evening. Present;- Dr. Rutter ( in the chair), Messrs Johnson, Hodgson, Carter, Rev. Cox (hon. sec.) and visitors Mrs. Rutter and Miss Naylor. Copies of the Annual report of the parent society were received and distributed, and proceedings at the annual meeting were reported by the hon. sec. There were placed on the table for the use of members:- Newspaper article, "Chronicles of early Gippsland" reprinted from Sale "Mercury"; biographical notice of the late Capt. Slade, R. N. presented by R. A. H. Connor; photo of flour mill erected by Mr. Lucas in Yarram in 1857, presented by Miss Rendell; volume of Acts of Parliament of Victoria 1864, containing autograph of John Pascoe Fawkner, dated Aug. 10th, 1864 presented by hon. sec.; copy of a letter in reference to the surveying of a piece of land for a cemetery at Tarraville, dated 1853, presented by hon. sec. of parent society. Exhibits- Photo of John Pascoe Fawkner , lent by Mrs. Cox; two copies of "Gippsland Guardian" dated 3rd Jan. 1862, and May 30th, 1862 respectively, lent by Mr. R. A. H. Connor; copy of warrant, appointment Mr. Chas. James Tyers Commissioner of Crown Lands for the District of Gippsland, dated Aug. 23rd. 1843 lent by hon. sec. of parent society. It was resolved that the next meeting be held on Wednesday Aug. 30th, at 8pm. Place to be fixed.

The hon. sec. submitted a proposal that an exhibition of Historical relics be held in the shire hall as a means of making the society and its work known: And by inviting gifts or loan of articles of a suitable of a suitable character for exhibition, by advertisement and personal canvass, of enabling the society to put on record the many possible sources of information scattered throughout the district. A decision as to details was deferred until next meeting. Members meanwhile are to make inquiries as to likely contributions. Offers and suggestions thankfully received. The rest of the evening was devoted to the reading and discussing of notes of the history of the districts covering the period 1845-1854, submitted by the hon. sec. of parent society, several additions and amendments being supplied by the members present. This group met & gathered history until the war and when the men went to war in 1915 the Yarram Sub-centre closed. The Yarram & District Historical Society re formed in 1964 and has been going along ever since.

Professor Bate, Melva James, Bruce Finlay

Members toast to 100 years

We Celebrated with a luncheon where 70 people sat down to lunch at the Yarram Club Hotel on Sunday 15th May 2011. We were honored to have with us Dr. Lemon, Professor Bate (our very interesting Guest speaker), Wellington Shire Mayor Mr. Jeff. Amos and their wives. Families of the late John Irving, (our early long serving President) and the late Mrs. Beryl Atkin (was our archivist for many years, both these people were life members of the Yarram Society), former Presidents & members, Fellow Societies, Guests & Yarram Society members. The cake was cut by our two longest serving members, Mrs. Margery Missen (Secretary for 40 years) & Mrs. Gwen Fraser. A number of people travelled a long way to join us for the afternoon, we thank you all for coming to help us celebrate, every one present enjoyed the day. We acknowledge & thank Yarram Standard & Julie Nethercote for the use of their photographs.

Other Society Matters The Yarram & District Historical Society started their year in February with lunch at the Yarram Club Hotel with 30 members sitting down to a meal. After the lunch a meeting was held during which a very surprised President was given life membership of the Society. The President is still in recovery from the very pleasant shock. After some members related stories about the premises the owners of the Club Hotel took members on a tour of the hotel which was built in 1918. Molly Cook told of her parent's marriage & breakfast being held there at 9.30 in the morning. It was early so they were able to catch the train to Melbourne for their honeymoon. Nancy Foat said her husband was measured for a suit upstairs when he was best man for a wedding. Margery Missen's mother was an invited guest there when the Misses McAlpine of Tarraville rented rooms there & entertained their friends. (It was a long way to for friends to travel to Tarraville in those days). Pat Finlay attended Country Women's Association meetings there.

It was a very interesting tour around the building, it is surprising how big it is. Rooms have been refreshed & guests are welcome to book in. The inside has been changed around & back again to suit the changing times, windows that were blocked are now open again. It has seen pokies and now back to an entertainment room for functions etc. In March we went on an excursion to Port Albert, firstly to the Anglican Church at Port Albert, St. John's, had short talk on the Clonmel pieces and other items of interest as well as a little history. Then off to purchase the fish and chip lunch we were looking forward to. We were invited to take our lunch and have it at the Curry residence, which was lovely, as was the cuppa provided by Marie. After lunch we were able to look over the old bakery. The ovens are still in working order, and were last used when the bakery in Yarram were not able to use theirs in the 1970's. The bakery now forms part of Warren's painting studio. After looking & hearing the history of the bakery, we were treated to some beautiful music played by Marie on her grand piano, lovely. We then went on to Alberton where courtesy of the family of the late Mr. Jack Slater we were able to look over the old Alberton Butter Factory. The factory is for sale, Jack was converting the factory into his residence. This was very interesting, a lot of memories came back for many of us, and stories told. It was a very happy group who had a great day and enjoyed each others company, & took in some history as well. Because Mr. Allan James couldn't go on the day of our excursion he came along & spoke at the May meeting. Allan owned the property at one stage & used it as an abattoir, he spoke about his time there after being around the place as a boy, his grandparents living close by and lunch was always eaten when the factory siren went at 12 noon every day. April meeting Mr. Garry Farley came to our meeting and spoke about this working life at the Yarram Post Office. 13th Feb. Standard 1913 Yarram New Post Office Preparations for Building Yesterday Mr. Evan Smith, Works Inspector of Victoria, arrived in Yarram, and straightway got to work taking levels and preparing fro the early erection of the new Post Office. Mr. Smith brought with him the plans, which show a substantial two-storied brick building. In addition to a commodious office, quarters are provided for the Postmaster. Erection will be commenced in about three weeks time. While the building is in course of erection quarters for the staff will be provided in a temporary office. The whole of the present building is to be pulled down. This new building extended in the 1950s is the third post office and the one we still use today. Many a story is told of meeting the lady love on the steps of the Post Office in years gone by. This of course is the shorter version. It was with much pleasure in April we hosted the Boolarra Historical Society at the Anglican Church "St John's" and Alberton Cemetery. It was a pleasure to meet the Boolarra members who came over on the bus and went to the Port Albert museum after the mandatory fish & chip lunch. A

number of our members came along, so we had a meet and greet as well as a some members giving short talks giving a little of the history of theses two places. The Book "St John's Anglican Church Port Albert" was launched in the church by the Bishop of Gippsland Right Reverend John McIntyre on 30th April. It was a lovely afternoon, the afternoon tea something else. The proceeds of this book which costs $20 is to help with the restoration of St. John's. Should the church close the money which is being held by the Yarram Historical Society in trust will be kept by them. For the Easter Festival we had a display in the window of Paul & Judith McAninly's office. The display was teapots from the silver service to the much loved and used every day little aluminum teapot, tea caddies & cosies of all descriptions. The display created a lot of interest. A newspaper was on display with an ad in 1972, 27 cents for a pkt. of tea. Tim Whitford has been working with passion for years to find Uncle Harry Willis who died in the battle of Fromelles W.W.1, he achieved this mission last year and then went onto look for the other local David Frederick (Fred) Livingston, with the generous help of Linda Baraclough, he has now been identified and will be now laid to rest with his army mates with a name on his headstone. Well done Tim. Tim now has another mission that is to record something on each of the men named on the Cenotaph in our main street. I am sure Tim would like to hear from any one who has a family member on the Yarram Cenotaph, he will be looking for information and photograph I am sure. The Yarram Primary School will be having a celebration in November this year, and are looking for photographs, memorabilia etc, for display. The school rolls etc were lost in a fire in the 1950's so if you can help in any way we would be pleased to hear from you. Just a couple of snippets from the paper this time. Gippsland Standard October 2nd 1907 Dr. Hagenauer on Friday last did the journey from Sale to Yarram in his motor car in 5 ½ hours, including 1 ½ hour stoppage owing to one of the wheels getting bogged in a deep hole. This is a good performance when it is considered that the doctor encountered very boisterous weather. There is not the slightest doubt that under favourable conditions the trip can be done in three hours. The return journey on Saturday occupied a little over four hours, the car being in good running order as when he left Sale. Gippsland Standard 14th February 1913 Mr. John Finlay, of Balloong, has been so very indisposed of late, that his condition caused concern. On Wednesday Dr. Rutter took his patient to Sale in Mr. A. Head's touring car, accompanied by the owner as chauffeur and Mr. E.A. Gabbett as pilot. A start was made shortly after 9 am. And after placing Mr. Finlay in Dr. Hagenauer's care at Sale, the road taken to Traralgon , thence via Bulga and Tarra valley. Yarram being reached about 8 o'clock. The round trip of 132 miles occupied about 11 hours, including stoppages of an hour and half at Sale, an hour at Traralgon and frequent spells en route to view the scenery. While the party were enjoying a smoke just before reaching Bulga and interesting settler, from the Emerald Isle, happened that way. He put a number of amusing questions and finally concluded they were "Towering around wid their cart". Mr. Head has the reputation of bringing the first car over the hills via Tarra Valley. The teracycles of the journey may be understood when we state that five watercourses 6ins to 8 ins deep were crossed to day nothing of what is described as a double "S" and "hair pin bends" The scenery described as enchanting.

Information

Yarram & District Historical Society Inc

4 pages

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate

411355


You might also be interested in

BETA
Yarram & District Historical Society Inc