Read Microsoft Word - inmate manual revised.docx text version


201 WEBBER ROAD THE DALLES, OREGON 97058 541-2981-541-298-1576

MAY 2009


Our Goals at NORCOR are to: Correct the current inability to immediately incarcerate Adult and Juvenile offenders by building and operating a Juvenile and Adult Jail. Assist in regional adherence to the philosophy that "If you do the crime-you will do the time". Provide a safe and secure environment for the incarceration of Adult & Juvenile Offenders to ensure community safety, accountability and reformation. Make Juvenile and Adult jail space available in an effort to discourage and/or prevent the formation of organized crime (gangs) in our communities. Make "Tough-on-Crime" votes count by making incarceration possible. Ensure Mid-Columbia victims that jail space is available if the courts decide incarceration is the proper action for convicted offenders.

NORCOR MISSION STATEMENT Meet the inherent social responsibilities of public safety, accountability and reformation by providing the communities of Gilliam, Hood River, Sherman and Wasco Counties with the physical facilities to incarcerate convicted offenders of any age in an effective and cost effective and cost efficient manner.



Social visits are between inmate and his or her family, friends, or associates. They are a privilege for the inmate and the visitor. To visit, a social visitor of any age must be on the inmate's approved visiting list. It is the inmate's choice and responsibility to add or delete visitors on the list. Jail staff does NOT list social visitors for the inmate. Write the inmate if you wish to be added to the inmate's list. The inmate will need the name, date of birth & physical address of any visitors they wish to add. Inmate requests to list visitors are subject to jail staff approval. New inmates are not allowed social visitors for the first 72 hours. Inmates have the first 7 business days from their booking date to create a visitors list. Current inmates can only add or change their visitors list the first 7 business days of each month. An inmate can delete visitors from their list at any time. Inmates are allowed 5 visitors over the age of 12. Visitors age 12 or older count against the inmate's limit of 5 visitors on his or her visiting list. Children 11 or younger do not count against the limit, but the inmate must still list them. Any child under the age of 18 must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian, with the exception of a 16 or 17 year old that is legally married to the inmate. A 16 or 17 year old spouse must show an official copy of the marriage certificate and photo Identification. Visitors must report to the Administration lobby desk, which is in the main lobby of the NORCOR Adult Facility 10 minutes prior to visiting time. Jail staff may restrict who visits and visiting conditions for the safety, security, and good order of the jail, inmates and the public. A visit may not take place during meals, "lights out", an inmate's health care appointment, jail program class, or work assignment, or when safety and security are involved. Social visitors are not authorized contact visits. An inmate may refuse to visit you. You cannot visit if you have been lodged in any correctional facility within the last 90 days. The jail security system may video record any visit as a part of normal security procedures. Your visit is subject to audio recording for security reason.

Social Visiting

Social Visiting Limits

Social visiting is subject to space availability. An inmate may only have three social visiting sessions per week. Each visit may last 30 minutes. An inmate may have up to two social visitors per visit. This number excludes children under the age of 11 during the visit. Visits may only occur during visiting hours, which may change at any time without notice. It is the inmate's responsibility to contact friends and family when they have been moved and their visiting schedule has changed. While visiting, if an inmate says or implies anything about committing suicide or doing other self harm or harm to others or of being a victim of physical or sexual assault or knowing of another inmate who is, please contact jail staff immediately. NORCOR has zero tolerance for any type of sexual misconduct taking place during a visit. 3

Visiting Rules

Jail staff will end your current visit, and may deny you future ones, if you violate any of these visitor rules: 1. All visitors need to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the posted visiting time. 2. Check in and out with jail lobby staff and show official, acceptable, picture identification (ID). 3. Abide by dress standards requirements. 4. Behave in a manner that is not a threat to the safety, security, and good order of the jail. 5. Watch and control any child with you at all times. Have the child stay seated. Do not leave the child alone, or with a stranger or anyone younger than 18. Jail staff will not care for your child. 6. Go directly to and from your assigned visiting area. 7. 8. End your visit within the allotted time. If you leave your visit before the end of your allotted time for any reason you will not be allowed to return. Do not be under any influence of drugs or alcohol.


10. Do not take or attempt to bring contraband into the jail or a visiting area. If you do, you are subject to arrest and prosecution under ORS 162.185. (Contraband is anything jail staff have not authorized or issued. It includes things like weapons, drugs, cigarettes, lighters, sharp objects, and food. 11. Do not tamper with, damage, mark, or soil jail property.

12. Inmates are not eligible for public visits until 72 hours after incarceration. 13. Inmates serving weekend sentences are not eligible for public visits. 14. If you are the victim, you will not be allowed to visit the inmate.


Accepted ID for Social Visitors

Adult · · · State ID card Military ID card Passport

Child 14-17 · · · · · · State driver's license State provisional driver's license State or school ID card Birth Certificate Marriage license Passport

Dress Standards:

Because the jail houses a wide variety of anti-social personalities, Jail staff will deny you a visit if you wear sexually suggestive or inappropriate clothing. Jail staff will consider clothing as being sexually suggestive for a jail setting if it exposes an undue amount of flesh on the chest, back, thigh, or midsection. This includes short shorts, skirts or dresses above the knee, or dresses or skirts with high slits, tank tops, halter or tube tops, or other clothing with plunging or low-cut necklines. Do not wear tight-fitting or see-through clothing or sheer and loose-weave fabrics. Jail staff may consider the absence of undergarments as sexually suggestive. Jail staff may have you take off your coat, sweaters, or similar outer layers of clothing that could conceal contraband, and place them in a locker. You must wear footwear. You may not have hairstyle or wear clothing or insignias with language, symbols, or markings that indicate affiliation with a criminal gang contain derogatory comments or slurs directed at a class of people or may otherwise disrupt jail order or place a person's safety at risk.

Property and Contraband Control

You may only take small, hand-carried or pocket items into the visiting area, such as photographs, wallets, coins, or keys if they do not present a security risk, but no cell phones, cameras, pens, pencils, matches, lighters, tobacco, sharp objects, food, drinks, pocket knives, or containers. (Containers include briefcases, purses, and fanny packs). A visitor with a baby may take a limited supply of baby care items on a visit; however he or she may not take baby strollers or carriers. Jail staff may ask you to empty your pockets so they can see the contents. They may also ask you to submit to a metal detection wand or frisk search if they have reasonable suspicion you are trying to take contraband into the visiting area. You may refuse to submit to a search, but jail staff will not allow you to visit and may permanently revoke your visiting privileges. No visitor may take a cell phone or other two-way communication device on a visit. You may not leave items in the waiting area while you visit. Quarter operated lockers are available in the lobby for you to store your personal belongings. The jail is not responsible for items left in the lockers. 5


Tuesday Morning 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Tuesday Afternoon 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. 2:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. 3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. 3:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Thursday & Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Friday & Sunday 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

Cell Block 100 Cell Block 1300 Cell Block 1100 Cell Block 1400 & 1500 Cell Block 200

Cell Block 300 Cell Block 800, 1000 & 1200 Cell Block 500 & 900 Cell Block 400 & 600

Cell Block 100 Cell Block 1300 Cell Block 1100 Cell Block 1400 & 1500 Cell Block 200

Cell Block 300 Cell Block 800,1000 & 1200 Cell Block 500 & 900 Cell Block 400 & 600




Any attorney with a valid bar card issued in the U.S. who states that he/she legally represents the prisoner will be entitled to visit his/her clients as follows. Monday ­Sunday : 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m. & 1 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Evenings-Tuesdays & Thursdays 6 p.m. -9:00 p.m. (evening visits are by appointment only and must be approved by the Captain or Lieutenants.)


Who may send mail to an inmate at NORCOR? Anyone can send mail to an inmate with some restrictions. We will not accept mail from: · · · An inmate in NORCOR, or another corrections-monitored facility OR treatment center. Someone who is acting as a go-between for inmates by taking mail, mail received from one inmate and sending it to another inmate. A victim of a crime that the inmate is in custody for either in pretrial or sentenced status.

On a case-by-case basis a command staff may impose restrictions on with whom an inmate may correspond on a personal basis

How may I send the mail?

· · We only allow inmates to receive mail sent through the U.S. Postal Service. We do not accept hand delivered mail. We will not accept mail with Postage Due.

May I call to confirm delivery of an item?

No. It is the inmate's responsibility to contact you to let you know they received something you mailed. Write to the inmate if you want to confirm delivery of an item you sent to him or her.

Whom do I contact if I have a complaint about inmate mail?

You can contact jail command staff by calling 541-298-1576 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday 8am12pm, 1pm-4pm if you have a complaint about inmate mail, or you may send a letter to: NORCOR Lieutenant, 201 Webber Road, The Dalles OR 97058

How do I address the mail?

Clearly write the inmates complete name. Do not use nicknames. If you know the inmates middle name or initial and file number please include those. Send mail to the following address:

1. Inmate's Name, Booking or File number 2. NORCOR 201 Webber Road The Dalles, OR 97058


What can't I mail to an inmate?

Contraband items. (Contraband is anything jail staff does not allow an inmate to have unless authorized by NORCOR Staff.) It's anything not specifically approved for mailing under "What may I mail to an inmate?" · · · · · · · · · · · · · · Books (unless directly from publisher) Bookmarks, postage stamps, stationery, writing or drawing materials, paper clips. Maps or Transportation schedules such as bus or train schedules. Stickers and decals Cosmetics, hair care and hygiene items Food Gifts Locks of hair and ribbons Cigarettes, matches, and lighters Dried or pressed flowers Coupons and lottery tickets Compact discs and cassette tapes Items from a non-approved source or Items that exceed approved limits Foreign substances such as bodily fluids, lipstick, perfume, glitter, glue, and anything with unusual stains or odors.

Items with contraband content, either as words or pictures. Contraband content is anything that may threaten the safety, security, good order of the jail or may be detrimental to an inmate's rehabilitation. This includes content that: · · · · · · · Threatens plans, encourages, instructs in activity that is criminal or violates jail rules. Could result in physical harm to anyone Is gang-related material. Is sexually explicit material (this is the most common reason for confiscating an item based on content. Be careful what you sent!) Is inflammatory material (this can include anything that incites or advocates physical violence against others or the supremacy or hatred of a class or group of people.) Is code or suspected code (this can include a foreign language if we are unable to find a translator in a reasonable period of time) Is fraudulently marked as legal or official mail. YES. All incoming and outgoing mail is

Does NORCOR open or inspect mail?

subject to opening and inspection by jail staff.

What happens if I mail contraband?

contraband in your mail: 1. 2. 3. 4.

One of three things will happen if we find

We will confiscate it and not let the inmate have access to it while lodged. We will destroy it, if it presents a health or safety hazard. We will confiscate it as evidence in a criminal investigation. Depending on the degree of contraband violation command staff may restrict any future correspondence you have with an inmate.


Introduction of contraband into a Corrections Facility is a Class C Felony under ORS 162.185 and is punishable by up to 5 years on prison and a fine of up to $100,000.


Who Can Post Bail and When

Any adult (18 or older), except another inmate, can post security 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for an inmate held in the NORCOR jail. Security is normally called bail. At NORCOR an inmate just booked can post part or the entire security amount using cash or credit card in his or her possession at the time of the arrest by using the Touchpay System. Another person can post the remainder by depositing money in the inmate's account if needed, by using the Touchpay Kiosk in the NORCOR lobby or utilizing the Touchpay System by phone or the internet. A lodged, pre-trial inmate can post security any time using money in his or her inmate account.

Using the Touchpay Payment System

There are many ways to utilize the Touchpay System. To post Bail or place money on an inmate's account: 1. KIOSK PAY-A customer can make a commissary or Bail/Security payment by using the Kiosk in the NORCOR Lobby at 201 Webber Road, The Dalles Oregon. In the NORCOR lobby you can make a bail or commissary payment using a credit/debit card (with the VISA OR MASTERCARD LOGO) or check (electronic check or check by phone). You can also use Cash. 2. TelePay-A customer can call the toll-free number and make a bail or commissary payment using a credit/debit card (with the VISA OR MASTERCARD LOGO) or check (electronic check or check by phone). 3. EPay-A customer can access the Touchpay Web portal and post bail or put money on an inmate's commissary account by using credit/debit card (with the VISA OR MASTERCARD LOGO) or check(electronic check). 4. EzPay-A customer can make a payment by swiping a credit/debit card through a pay-pad terminal and entering a PIN The EZPay terminal is located in the NORCOR booking area for pre-funding and personal bail.




· · · · Cash Commissary ---$5.00 Credit Card/Debit Card-$5.00 + 3 ½% Cash Bond-$5.00 on 1st $200.00 +$3.00 per every $100.00 deposited incrementally, Maximum $200.00. Credit Card Bond-$5.00+7 1/2 %

(NOTE: If you deposit money in an inmate's account for the inmate to use to post security, any security refund will go to the inmate) How Much to Post

To find out an inmate's security/bail amount go to the Inmate CustodyList on the jail web page or call 1-541-298-1576. Normally the amount shown is 10% of the security amount. However, for some traffic violation charges it may be the full security amount. In any case, the amount shown is what must be paid. For an inmate with multiple criminal charges stemming from a single incident (case number), a person need only pay security for the charge that has the highest security of all the charges. For multiple charges for traffic offenses, like DUI's, the security must be paid for each charge. The security needed may change at any time because of changes in the charges, or a court's actions regarding the security amount.

Release of the Inmate after Posting

The jail will release the inmate as soon as possible, however the operational needs of the jail at that time and whether the inmate needs to check out of his or her housing unit and change back into civilian clothing, may cause delays in the release process. IF YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF THE INMATE YOU MUST LEAVE THE


Return of Security (Bail) NORCOR does not handle, control, or refund bail/ security once it is posted. It is forwarded to the courts for processing.

BAIL FUNDING NOTICE The money you are depositing on the inmates account for bail will be treated as the inmate's personal funds to be used as self posting for bail. 15% is withheld for the bail release fee by the Courts (maximum of $200.00) and any and all fines owed to the Court by the defendant on this case or any other case will be deducted before the money is returned, this can include back child support and or taxes. The Court may order that the Bail/security deposit be applied to any fines, costs, assessments, restitution, contribution, recoupment or other monetary obligations that are imposed on the defendant in this or any other case. The Court may order that the Bail/security deposit be applied towards the defendant's child support obligations and/or to provide security for future child support payments. The Court may be 10

required to notify the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Attorney's Office if more than $10,000 is posted by any party. These funds will be treated as the defendant's funds and you will be responsible to collect these funds back from the defendant, not the courts. Hood River County

Hood River County Circuit Court, 309 State St., Hood River, Or. 97031 Hood River Municipal Court, 211 2nd St., Hood River, Or. 97031 1-541-386-3535 1-541-387-5250

Gilliam County

Gilliam County Circuit Court, 221 S. Oregon St. P.O. Box 622 Condon Or. 97823 Arlington Justice Court, 500 W. 1st St., Arlington, Or. 97812 1-541-454-2923 Condon Justice Court, 221 S. Oregon St., Condon, Or. 97823 1-541-384-5821 1-541-384-3572

Sherman County

Sherman County Circuit Court, 500 Court St., P.O. Box 402, Moro, Or. 97039 1-541-565-3650

Sherman County Justice Court, 5th and Court St. P.O. Box 282, Moro, Or. 97039 1-541-565-3572

Wasco County

Wasco County Circuit Court, 511 Washington St. The Dalles, Or. 97058 1-541-506-2700

The Dalles Municipal Court, 313 Court St., The Dalles, Or. 97058 1-541-296-5481

Wheeler County

Wheeler County Circuit Court, 701 Adams St. P.O. Box 345, Fossil, Oregon 97830 Fossil Justice Court, 701 Adams St. P.O. Box 173, Fossil, Or. 97830 1-541-763-2047 Mitchell Justice Court, S. Nelson St. P.O. Box 142, Mitchell, Or. 97750 1-541-462-3600 1-541-763-2541

How to send Money to the Inmate? Effective February 6th 2009 NORCOR will no longer

take any form of currency through the front window for Commissary or Bail. All money received at NORCOR after this date will need to be applied to an inmate account by utilizing the TOUCHPAY System. NORCOR staff will provide you with the correct procedure in applying money or bail to an inmate's account.



The Administration Office is open Monday through Friday from 8am-12pm, closed for lunch from 12pm -1pm and will re-open from 1-5pm. To post Bail after hours or on holidays go to the Work Release counter which is located in the lobby of the building directly west of the NORCOR Administration office. NORCOR Staff will assist you.

NORCOR INMATE TELEPHONES Use of Inmate Telephones:

Inmate telephones are provided at NORCOR and are located in all inmate housing areas. The inmate's telephones are turned on from 8:00a.m. to 10:00p.m. each day. THE PHONES ARE OFF ON WEDNESDAYS UNTIL APPROXIMATELY 6PM. If an inmate has a behavioral problem or there is a safety and security problem at NORCOR the telephones may be turned off. Use of the telephones by the inmates at NORCOR is a privilege. All inmate telephone calls are collect calls only and the inmate telephone system cannot receive incoming calls. You cannot leave a message for an inmate to call you. Verified emergency messages will be delivered to the inmate by Command Staff. If you call in a false emergency message, the inmate you wish to contact may lose his/her telephone privileges. NORCOR reserves the authority to monitor and record conversations on the inmate telephone system. Law-enforcement may use the recording for criminal investigations. If the telephone is used to talk with verified legal counsel it will not be recorded or monitored.

Telephone Number Blocks

Telephone numbers of the public may be blocked by NORCOR Command Staff, or upon the request of a citizen to prevent inmates calling their telephone number from the inmate telephone system at NORCOR. A citizen's request for a telephone block may be provided orally or in written form. However, the citizen filing the request must provide NORCOR with his/her driver's license number or state ID card number, their full name, date of birth, requestor's telephone numbers to be blocked, and the purpose for the telephone block. The original requestor may ask to remove the block. The request may be in written form or may be in person. The requestor must provide his/her drivers license or state ID card number and the purpose for the removal of the telephone block.

Victims of a crime by an inmate held at NORCOR cannot remove a telephone block without proper paperwork provided to NORCOR by the Courts or District Attorney's office.

Release of Inmate Money

Jail staff will not accept any walk-in requests from a person to have inmate release money unless it is a validated urgent situation. The requestor can expect a substantial waiting period while an approved walk-in money release is being processed. We will not release money to someone that has been in NORCOR within the last Year. Only a Lieutenant can authorize a release of property during regular Administration business hours.


Release of Inmate Property

NORCOR does not release property unless: · It is an item that is needed for the good of the family, example, food stamp card, credit card, car keys. · the inmate's property box is full & storage is limited · Or in the event an inmate is scheduled to be transported or has an INS(Immigration) hold, an inmate may release ALL his or her property to a person from jail storage, except one set of clothing to wear upon release or transfer. The inmate must sign to approve the property release or it will not occur. The recipient can expect significant delays in getting property released if the release was not pre-arranged with the inmate so that the inmate completes the release form. Once release is approved, the physical retrieval of property is subject to staff availability. The authorized recipient can pick up the property at the jail lobby desk during the normal lobby hours of 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The recipient must be at least 18 years old to receive the property and must present official picture identification, such as a driver's license, to receive the property.

Only a Lieutenant can authorize a release of property during regular Administration business hours.

Transfer of Property to an Inmate:

You cannot bring an inmate any property with the exception of medications labeled with the inmates name and prescription on the bottle, court clothes that have been pre-approved for a jury trial, special-fit clothing, or clothes needed for release. You must be an adult and present official picture identification, such as a driver's license, to transfer the property.


What do I do if I think I have a warrant?

· · If you believe you are wanted by the police report to NORCOR in person. Please do not call; we cannot give out that information over the phone.

During the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for holidays, report to the jail lobby. Tell NORCOR staff you think you have a warrant. Staff will run a records check. If there is a warrant you will be taken into custody. If you are reporting after-hours, report to the Work Release counter in the lobby of the building directly west of the NORCOR Administration office. Staff will perform the same process and direct you where to go after the warrant is confirmed or what to do if one is not found.


How do I report for a sentence?

Report on the date and time your sentence order states. Do not be late. Come to the NORCOR Administration counter in the main lobby of NORCOR and tell them you are reporting for a sentence. Please bring a copy of the court paperwork telling you to report. After regular business hours please report to the Work Release counter which is located in the lobby of the building directly west of the NORCOR Administration building.

What should I bring?

When turning yourself in either for a warrant or to report for a sentence please bring only those items with you that you need to conduct the business of turning yourself in, or are of a medical necessity. The items you should bring include: · · · · · Driver's license or other government issued picture identification. Cash that you might be able to use to post security (bail). Prescription medications in their original sealed and labeled packaging, Reading glasses Copy of the sentencing order

Please DO NOT: · · · Bring jewelry, cell phones, personal data assistants, books, or unnecessary items removed from your pockets. If lodged you clothes are sealed in a plastic box which will wrinkle some clothing and is limited on space. Avoid wearing clothing items with drawstrings and belts and shoes with shoelaces. Officers will remove them from the items for safety reasons at intake.

Revised 5/5/09



Microsoft Word - inmate manual revised.docx

14 pages

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate


You might also be interested in

Microsoft Word - Inmate Handbook-FINAL _09-21-07_ 2007.doc
Brunswick County Detention Center
Microsoft Word - 22v01-13.doc