Read Microsoft Word - Minutes 2-4-10.doc text version

MINUTES Meeting of the Parmelee Steering Committee Thursday, February 4, 2010, 7:00 p.m. Town Office Building

ATTENDANCE: The following committee members were in attendance: Michelle Becker, Debbie Dekkers, Bruce Dodson, Terry Doyle, Linda Dudek, Tim Gannon, George McQueeney, Richard Pleines, Peg Scofield Absent: Christine Cronin, Karen Milano, Susan Otto, Pat Smulders Guests: Sara Dodson, Stephen Holmes · · · · · · T. Gannon called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m. Guest Carolyn Anderson will be attending next month's meeting. T. Gannon welcomed guests and visitors. B. Dodson introduced guests Sara Dodson and Stephen Holmes of Centerbrook Architects. T. Doyle moved to accept the minutes of January's meeting; R. Pleines seconded. Unanimously approved. Kevin Gorman was sent to town hall for map information for his Eagle Scout project and instructed to give his application to Inland Wetlands. Their meeting is Tuesday. MLUC did a walk-through of the farmhouse with the building inspector. It will need to be considered as business use since the Historical Society will be using it as a museum. Items needing attention include: new 200 amp electrical box; installation of plumbing vents; well pump; handicap restroom and access ramp. P. Scofield requested the well pump issue be tabled until she could do further research. R. Pleines is working with an architect who will donate a plan for the handicap-accessible restroom. Electricity to the house will be run in the spring. Volunteers will dig the trench and install conduit. Cost for CL&P to run the power will be about $4,000. An estimate of $10,000 to $12,000 was received for repair of structural issues noted in the house report. J. Hutchins from MLUC has offered input on the house as he has experience in museum settings. Guests Sara Dodson and Stephen Holmes spoke about creating a site plan and prioritizing projects. They recommended a master plan be drawn up to help prioritize projects. A

· · · ·

MINUTES Meeting of the Parmelee Steering Committee Thursday, February 4, 2010 page 2

program naming goals for the property and long-term plans will help guide the site plan. They discussed some "games" that are used as tools to help determine where priorities really lie. Sara and Stephen have walked the property and are very interested in helping the committee begin setting goals and create a master plan. They were invited to return to a future meeting to work on the goals. · · P. Scofield has created a wonderful web site for Parmelee Farm. Any information on workshops, events, photos, etc. can be sent to Peg for inclusion on the site. T. Doyle made a motion that P. Scofield go before the Killingworth Foundation at their next meeting to request that they accept donations on behalf of the Parmelee Farm. L. Dudek seconded and the motion was carried unanimously. Priority lists were reviewed. All members will be emailing their lists to D. Dekkers to be consolidated and the final list presented by the next meeting. Copies will be sent to S. Dodson and S. Holmes. R. Pleines has scheduled spring work days; information is on the web site. Focus will be on the pole barn and pond areas in preparation for removal of the barn. Foremen will be assigned for the work days so there is more structure to which projects are being completed. T. Gannon requested that project lists be made up so foremen could direct groups to particular tasks. A maple sugaring workshop will be held on the property at 10:00 a.m. on February 13. On February 21, participants are invited to go to Wolter's farm to see how the syrup is made. P. Scofield will create a form similar to one used by Park & Rec for property use. T. Gannon asked that those running workshops and other events keep a notebook or log of the event for future reference, including photos. L. Dudek offered to keep this on file in the town clerk's vault. B. Dodson made a motion to approve the maple sugaring workshop notification be posted to the web site. Seconded by L. Dudek and unanimously approved. T. Doyle made a motion, seconded by T. Gannon, to get the web site up and running as previewed. The motion was approved by all. B. Dodson requested that the Land Trust be able to hold their annual meeting on either May 15 or 22 at the Parmelee Farm. He also asked if the property be included in the statewide Trails Day on June 5. The listing needs to be sent to the state by February 12. T. Gannon suggested that before the Trails Day the red barn and pole barn should be secured with fence. R. Pleines noted that if the wood and brush are cleared from the pole barn area on the work days, then the pole barn could be taken down by June. T. Doyle made a motion to approve B. Dodson's requests. L. Dudek seconded and all approved.

·

·

· · ·

· · ·

MINUTES Meeting of the Parmelee Steering Committee Thursday, February 4, 2010 page 2

· ·

B. Dodson also noted that Charlie Smith has offered to grow tomato plants for a fundraiser for the Farm. S. Dodson and S. Holmes offered some final thoughts. Sara suggested that the committee come up with a mission statement, possibly building on an earlier comment that the goal was education. T. Gannon asked that anyone who wishes come up with a mission statement to present via email before the next meeting for discussion at the meeting. There was a discussion on Sara and Stephen's suggestion that green energy options be explored for the house. P. Scofield noted that the Community Garden is in the process of acquiring large water collection tanks for rainwater and a gravity-based system. Many gardeners are returning from last year and the garden should be full. There was a discussion on eliminating the stinging nettle and poison ivy. R. Pleines had intended on purchasing Crossbow to apply for the poison ivy on recommendation of the Connecticut Agricultural Center. P. Scofield asked that information be provided to present to the gardeners; several are doing organic gardening and do not want the herbicides in the area. She will try to find information confirming that the product is not harmful or long-lasting. B. Dodson noted that the Land Trust uses Round-Up in limited applications as it is approved by the Nature Conservancy if applied by a licensed operator. M. Becker noted that professional service needs should be taken into consideration when working on priority lists and budgets. The Selectmen approve funds for any professional fees for town property. There was a brief discussion on transparency and communication. As a general rule, any conversations or ideas that affect the committee should be shared with all either via email or at the meetings. No decisions should be made outside of formal committee meetings. L. Dudek has spoken with Stacy Vero of the State Historic Register. They have been inundated with applications and should have an answer for us in about two more weeks. R. Pleines asked Linda to make sure that the designation has no restrictions. T. Gannon called to adjourn the meeting at 9:24 p.m., seconded by P. Scofield.

· ·

·

·

·

·

·

Respectfully submitted,

Deborah Dekkers Recording Secretary

Information

Microsoft Word - Minutes 2-4-10.doc

3 pages

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate

1269919