Read Spring 2009 - 6 page text version

Pulaski Area Historical Society

129 West Pulaski Street P.O. Box 944 Pulaski, WI 54162

New `Old' Items Donated

Through the generosity of the following persons the Historical Society has received several items for the museum: Tom Olszewski, Ray Brzezinski family, Leon Czech, Norbert Wozniak, Mike Thyes, Gerald and Geraldine Brzezinski, Russ Schumal, Pulaski High School and John Wendzikowski. Some of the items received are: picture of the 1951-52 students of Good Cheer School, a DVD of a 1935 parade in Pulaski and the visit of Franklin Delano Roosevelt to Green Bay in 1934, 1957 map of Brown County, microfiche equipment, newspapers articles of various businesses in Pulaski, yearbook of 1960 graduates of Assumption B.V.M., 1932 football letter from Pulaski High School, several items from the Brzezinski Store in Krakow and a child's `Liberty Bell' bank with the nameplate - Liberty State Bank, Pulaski, Wisconsin.

Refresh and Renew the Museum

We are planning a "Work Day" at the museum on Wednesday, May 13, 2009, and invite anyone interested in helping to arrive at 9:00 a.m. Coffee and doughnuts will be provided. A plan to rearrange exhibits, pack away some displays that have been showing for a long time and exchange them with something new, possibly paint a wall or two, and in general clean and refresh the museum prior to its opening on June 2nd for the summertime. If necessary a second day will be set up to complete the project. We will have cleaning supplies available, but if you have a favorite item, please bring it along. We hope to have a good turnout of helpers, and would appreciate your calling Pat Budz at 865-7875 if you are able to come.

Polka Days Float Ideas

If anyone has ideas for the 2009 Polka Day float or wishes to volunteer their help, please call Chris Jaworski at 822-3961.

Heartfelt Sympathy

Pulaski Area Historical Society extends its its sympathy to the families of Genevieve Smith and Lawrence La Brosse.

Thank you to the members that baked, donated money, or helped at the Fall Bake & Craft Sale at North Shore Bank. Thank you to all the generous businesses of our area who donated wonderful prizes for our Annual Dinner Meeting on October 29. A special thank you to Super Ron's for catering. Thank you to Ted Konopka for his years of service as a director of the Pulaski Area Historical Society. Thank you to Van Asten's Plumbing and Heating for the many times of snow removal this winter at the museum. We are fortunate to have such a good neighbor.

Thank Yous

Available at the museum

Flavor that satisfies your taste buds 1620 Lime Kiln Road Green Bay, WI 54311 Tel. & Fax (920) 469-2430 www.europeanflavorcompany.com

· Coffee · Breakfast & Lunch · Polish Deli

Home of

Monday ­ Friday 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. · Closed Sunday

History of the Township of Lessor, and History of the Township of Maple Grove, complied by Ray Brusky, $10.00 each; Pulaski area maps, $2.00; Old-Time Pulaski Parade DVDs, $20.00; Dear Girls, written by a former Pulaski resident, American journalist Al Polczinski, $15.00. We also have matted sketches of the Chase Stone Barn, $25.00. We also have a new book for viewing, Fill'er Up, The Glory Days of Wisconsin Gas Stations, by Jim Draeger and Mark Speltz. (The Pulaski Service Station is included in the book).

Pulaski Area Historical Society, Inc.

Newsletter

PULASKI, WISCONSIN

SPRING 2009

"Dedicated to the preservation of the heritage and traditions of the Pulaski Area."

PAHS presents Historic Preservation Award

At the PAHS Annual Dinner Meeting on October 29, 2008 President Chris Jaworski presented Emil and Mary Ann Szczepanski the first Annual Historic Preservation Award for their efforts in preserving and restoring many of the buildings on their Century Farm at 9247 S. Chase Road, Pulaski. Pictures of the farmstead were on display at the dinner meeting and Emil and Mary Ann along with their family members were honored to receive this preservation award. The barn was outfitted with a new metal roof, paint and repairs in July, 2008, the original barn being lost to tornadoes; a unique log structure was stripped down to the original logs, new chinking added giving it a fresh yet historical look. The Green Bay Press Gazette also recognized the Szczepanskis in a recent article. The historical society hopes to present this award each fall at its annual meeting and welcomes nominations of local historical preservations. Please call Chris Jaworski at 822-3961 with your suggestions.

Chris Jaworski presents an Historical Preservation Award to Emil Szczepanski.

Szczepanski barn restored with new metal roof. Past and Present Board of Directors: Ted Konopka, Richard Hodkiewicz, Bob Budz, Don Marnocha, Tammy Brzeczkowski, Sharon Bauer; second row: John Mihalko, Wally Kroll, Harry Slezewski and Larry Puzen.

Spring Bake Sale May 8

The Pulaski Area Historical Society will hold a Bake Sale with proceeds going toward museum operating and maintenance expenses. It will be held at Citizens Bank, 160 E. Pulaski Street, Pulaski on Friday, May 8, 2009, from 8:30 a.m. until sold out. Members are asked to bring their homemade goodies (pies, cakes, bars, cookies, etc.) to Citizens Bank from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Donations will be accepted if you are unable to bring bakery. Volunteers are needed to sell the bakery. For more information call Theresa Bialozynski at (920) 822-5189 or Patricia Budz at (920) 865-7875. This will be the only notice of the Bake Sale so mark your calendar.

Chase Stone Barn presentation

The stone barn historic planning presentation, held at the Town of Chase town hall, on March 28, was well attended with 59 guests present not including staff. Don Kraft, a representative, from Brander Construction and James Hayward, historic preservation consultant, of Third Cut Restoration Services, gave a presentation about the importance of proper site planning. The duo used examples of their work with Heritage Hill. A short tour of the stone barn was given after the presentation.

Ken Dietz (left) and Edward Dietz (right) stand next to their Buckeye tiling machine. The Buckeye Tract Oil Ditcher Co. was known for its ingenuity. In 1907 the company received a patent for the traction apron drive thread which is now known today as caterpillar thread. Edward Dietz's machine used white oak planks for the track links.

Berna reminisces about `earthly' childhood

by Chris Jaworski Pulaski Area Historical Society President Unlike most little girls, of her youth, Pulaski resident Marlene Berna grew up assisting her father with the hard work of his drainage business. A self proclaimed tomboy, Marlene loved to help her father, Edward Dietz on his 80 acre farm near Greenville, Wisconsin. A registered breeder of Guernsey cattle the Dietz farm was once named Outstanding Farm of the Year in Outagamie County. Marlene's father worked, as a farm hand, in the Dakota's for three years around 1915. During this period of time he learned the importance of well drained soil. Farm fields with drainage tile installed a few feet below the soil out yielded neighboring fields that just used conventional ditching. Edward Dietz brought this technology and knowledge back to Wisconsin and purchased a large machine to lay tile in local farmer's fields. The tiling machine was delivered from the Dakota's via railroad to Greenville, Wisconsin around 1918. An affixed metal plate read: The Buckeye Tract Oil Ditcher Co., Findlay, Ohio, USA #1828. With this machine Edward Dietz not only had the ability to tile his own land but neighboring farms as well. Laying drainage tile became a side business to his dairy operation. Marlene recalls that her brother, Ken and she were regular helpers along with their uncle, George Dietz. The business was run in the spring, summer, and fall or whenever the weather and crop rotation would allow them into the fields. The tiling machine dug a trench in the ground 14 inches to 9 feet deep. The big 12 foot wheel, located in back of the machine, accomplished this task. Edward Dietz placed the concrete tile in the ground using a long stick with an iron angle on the end of it. Most of the drainage tiles were made of cement 4 to 12 inches in diameter by 12 inches long. Since the tiles were manufactured as straight pieces they would mortar junction lines together themselves out in the field. If the machine hit a stone the big wheel would lift and go over it. Marlene would then lower herself into the trench and remove the stone. Marlene also, fondly recalls starting the tiling machine. A big fly wheel was spun and kerosene would ignite the engine. Once the engine started kerosene would be used to fire the boiler which powered the whole device with steam. The engine shook the ground as it ran making an unmistakable "chuck, ha ha ha ha, chuck, ha ha ha ha, chuck, ha ha ha ha" noise. Everyone in the neighborhood knew the Dietz family was going tiling for the day! Maintenance of the machine was done using a forge. If any metal piece would break her father and uncle would repair or remake the part in their blacksmith shop. The metal had to be heated to a bright red color before it could be worked upon the anvil and it was Marlene's job to operate the bellows. After the tile was laid in the trench about 12 inches of topsoil was thrown on top of it. The purpose of the topsoil was two-fold. First it prevented the tile from being chipped or cracked and second the surrounding dirt allowed for better filtration. It was the farmer's responsibility to back fill the remainder of the trench. Horses and a slusher scoop were most often used for this task. Records of past jobs were kept in a log book by Edward Dietz. These maps were registered and filed at the Outagamie County Court House. They are a testament to the hard work done by Marlene's family. As Edward Dietz's health declined, the Buckeye tiling machine fell out of use in the mid 1950s. It sat in a rusting heap on the Kreutzberg farm until 2001 when it was sold for $500 and scrapped. Marlene admits the industrial background she learned in her childhood helped her with the home building business she and her husband, Frank ran in Pulaski for many years. Edward Dietz's meticulous bookkeeping skills were something Marlene carried into her trade as well. She proudly points out over 200 homes in the area which were built by their family. She still has the blueprints for every one of them.

Society holds Annual Dinner Meeting

On Wednesday evening, October 29, 2008, the Pulaski Area Historical Society held their Annual Dinner Meeting at the American Legion Hall in Pulaski. The museum was open from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. prior to the meeting. President Chris Jaworski called the meeting to order and gave the prayer before dinner. A very enjoyable dinner began with soups of Polish heritage, czarnina (duck soup) and rosol z kury (chicken soup) followed by a baked chicken and roast pork dinner catered by Super Ron's deli. Special guests introduced by Chris Jaworski included Tony Hieronimczak who does our lawn mowing and snow removal; Helen and Jim Zajac who take care of our mailings, and Dick and Mary Lemmen who provided the horses and wagon for our Polka Days float. Officers, staff and board members were introduced next: Bea Valley, Secretary; Theresa Bialozynski, Treasurer; Pat Budz, Vice-President; Chris Jaworski, President; Marian Schroeder, Curator and Doris Malcheski, Membership Chairperson. Board members are Ted Konopka, Larry Puzen, Harry Slezewski, Richard Hodkiewicz, Mary Kurzynski, John Wendzikowski, Tammy Brzeczkowski, Bob Budz and John Mihalko. Committees established at our last board meeting are: Artifacts and Archives, Bylaws, Maintenance, Membership, Newsletters, Public Relations, Annual Dinner, Bake Sales, Volunteers, and Historic Structures. Election of board members was next on the agenda and ballots for the election of three board of directors for the term ending 2011 were passed out. Names on the ballot were Mari Flanagan, Sharon Bauer, Bob Van Lannen, Harry Slezewski and Larry Puzen. Elected to a three year term on the Pulaski Area Historical Society Board of Directors were: Harry Slezewski, Sharon Bauer and Larry Puzen. Bylaws were amended to reflect a change of membership due date which will now be from January 1 through December 31 or consistent with the common calendar year and will have all dues payable at the same time. The membership committee may also use discretion based on guidelines set by the P.A.H.S. Board of Directors. Also amended was the Annual Meeting date to be held each fall of the year with date to be determined by the board of directors. Chris gave an update on the Franciscan printery building and also the Frysh Stone Barn now owned by the Town of Chase. A first Annual Historic Preservation Award was presented by Chris Jaworski to Emil and Mary Ann Szczepanski for their efforts in restoring, and preserving the buildings on their Century Farm at 9247 S. Chase Road, Pulaski. A display of the farm pictures was on view at the meeting. More information and pictures will be featured in the next issue of the Pulaski News. Curator Marian Schroeder gave a detailed report of the many museum activities during the past year. Marian toured many guests through the museum and worked tirelessly on research. Because of her research, the museum was presented with a newly published book entitled "Fill'Er Up", a collection of old filling stations, the one in Pulaski pictured in the book is now being used by the Chamber of Commerce on W. Pulaski Street. Pat Budz gave a short report of the museum summer hours and thanked the volunteers who kept the museum open. She also thanked Harry Slezewski for his dedication to keeping the museum in working order. Chris Jaworski introduced our guest speaker, Dr. Gloria Krumrai, who presented an interesting summary of her beginnings in chiropractic medicine, her Pulaski family ties, and her 50 plus years of service to the people of the Pulaski area. Dr. Krumrai also introduced her son, Dr. Dale Krumrai and wife, and her daughter, Tami Reinhard and passed out magnetic 2009 calendars to all present. It was a very informative and entertaining presentation. An Award for Service and Appreciation was given to retiring board member, Ted Konopka by Pat Budz. After the meeting was adjourned, a wonderful collection of door prizes was handed out. Thank you to the many Pulaski area businesses who graciously donated the prizes.

Support our community newspaper

The Pulaski News has graciously offered to cover the composition and printing costs of the Pulaski Area Historical Society 4-page newsletter. A special thank you to Kathy Gerds and her staff. We encourage all members to subscribe to this outstanding high school community newspaper. Thank you to Fine Line Graphics, Inc. (Bob and Brenda Bryfczynski) for donating the cost of the insert.

PULASKI NEWS

The Pulaski News is published every other Thursday by Pulaski High School English students. It is the oldest student written school and community newspaper in the nation. The Pulaski News has a circulation of approximately 3,000. We reach not only people who live in Pulaski, but also those who live in outlying areas. We are a non-profit business, and we draw funds from our advertisers and subscribers.

MAIL-IN ORDER FORM FOR PULASKI NEWS

Pulaski News · 1040 St. Augustine St. · Pulaski, WI 54162-9450

Museum officers: Chris Jaworski, President; Theresa Bialozynski, Treasurer; Doris Malcheski, Membership Chairperson; Pat Budz, Vice-President; Marian Schroeder, Museum Curator; Bea Valley, Secretary.

Name Address

Congratulations

Congratulations to Richard Blasczyk who on March 19, 2009 received the Chamber of Commerce Community Service Service Award. It was a well-deserved award.

Please check: $17.00 Regular Subscription $15.00 Senior Citizen (62 yrs. & older)

New Subscription Renewal Subscription Cash Check

Information

Spring 2009 - 6 page

4 pages

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate

956597


You might also be interested in

BETA
Spring 2009 - 6 page