Read Microsoft Word - History of Trussville.htm text version

In 1869, the Trussville Academy was founded by Robert Greene Hewitt (also served as principal from 1869-1871 & 1876-1884) who was from the Tarrant City area and served 60 years in the Jefferson County school system. The Trussville Academy was a wooden building 60 x 40 and would accommodate 60-100 students located near what is now South Chalkville Road in the vicinity of the railroad tracks. New taxes were levied by the 1901 State Constitution and Trussville built a new and larger school. In late fall of 1903 the new building opened. Trussville Grammar School served students until 1938. This school was located on the site that is now occupied by Trussville First United Methodist Church. On May 9, 1922 a site for a new school to house higher classes was offered to the Board of Education. The site was across the street from the grammar school. The new building was completed in 1922. In 1925 Robert Hewitt presented a proposal to make Trussville a senior high school with the addition of classrooms. The name of the Trussville school was changed to R.G. Hewitt School in September 1925. In June 1936 the U.S. Government entered into an agreement with the Board of Education to erect a new school building. The original plans were for the primary and upper elementary pupils to be taught at the new school on Parkway and the Junior/Senior grades were to be taught in R.G. Hewitt High School on Chalkville Road. The plan was never implemented. The new Parkway Drive School Building (old high school, now HTMS) opened with grades 10-12 in the fall of 1938 as Hewitt High School. One room on the south end of the building was used as a nursery/kindergarten. Hewitt School on Chalkville Road housed grades 1-9. On September 24, 1937, the Methodist Church and the Jefferson County Board of Education exchanged land. In the early 1900's the Methodist Church was located across Chalkville Road from its present location. The Methodists wanted to exchange property with the grammar school (located where the Methodist church currently sits). This gave the Jefferson County Board of Education two pieces of property together and gave the Methodist Church a larger, new building. The stadium was built in 1949 at a cost of $40,000 at the Park Drive School Building. As the area grew, Hewitt High expanded and housed students in grades 7 ­ 12. Jefferson County contracted for a junior high school. Hewitt Elementary on Chalkville Road was also overflowing with students. Hewitt Elementary School Annex on Cherokee Drive was opened in 1969 for grades 2 and 3. In May of 1973, Hewitt Elementary School on Chalkville Road burned to the ground. Hewitt Elementary School Annex was expanded to hold all students in elementary grades. In December of 1983, Hewitt High School on Parkway Drive closed its doors for the Christmas holidays and re-opened in January of 1984 at a new building on Trussville-

Clay Road. Although there was much discussion about changing the name at the time, the school reopened with the name Hewitt-Trussville High School. In May of 1985, the City of Birmingham attempted to annex 7500 acres including HewittTrussville High School. The attempt was soundly defeated and as a result, the city ofTrussville annexed the school on May 29, 1985. The Parkway Drive school building was renovated and remodeled and in August 1984 began serving as Hewitt-Trussville Middle School. Trussville Through the Years by Carol and Earl Massey ends at this point with school history. *Hewitt Elementary closed and the Paine campus opened for the 2003 ­ 2004 school year. At this time, the Hewitt-Trussville Junior High closed and the grades were restructured. Paine Primary School ­ Kindergarten ­ 2nd grade Paine Intermediate School ­ grades 3 ­ 5 Hewitt-Trussville Middle School ­ grades 6 ­ 8 Hewitt-Trussville High School ­ grades 9 ­ 12 On July 1, 2005, Trussville City Schools became an independent school system.


Microsoft Word - History of Trussville.htm

2 pages

Report File (DMCA)

Our content is added by our users. We aim to remove reported files within 1 working day. Please use this link to notify us:

Report this file as copyright or inappropriate


Notice: fwrite(): send of 201 bytes failed with errno=104 Connection reset by peer in /home/ on line 531